Saturday, July 7, 2012

Just Miserable

Wanna see something pathetic?
Poor baby ...
Yeah, that's the way we all felt this morning!! But, Elly's demeanor is because we, of course, left her at home. My mood was determined by a single factor today ... you guessed it: The Heat!! Just yesterday, a friend asked me how early I've been having to get up to beat the heat. My response was that you can't beat it, so I've actually been able to sleep a little longer and I run a little slower!
Aaron was way more ready to go out than I ... or he just had
more desire to get it overwith!
Last night, I told Aaron he was coming with me this morning. Fortunately, he was amenable to the directive. I just knew I would want company to inspire my getting out there!! It's rare that I really complain about the temperature. In fact, that's one of the things I have going for me with this activity -- temps aren't usually much a factor wherever they are (and, boy, do I love love love the cold!!). But, this heat is ri-don-cu-lous!!

It took no time at all to be glad I had a pal. Talking while going made it much easier to keep my mind off of how terrible it felt out there! Here we are after the first mile:
I perked up ... This is Aaron's, "She's trying to kill me" look.
Fortunately, we had a lot of topics to discuss to make the outing fly by. And, it wasn't without its merits. Look what Aaron found:
Nothing like finding a drill bit along the way. Not only did I not
see this, but, had I, I would have passed it up. Aaron kept it and
noted it costs more than a penny or two. Point taken, but I like
finding the cash!
Right after finding that little gem, we hit Mile 2 where I insisted on stopping for some water. From that point, 7/10 of the remaining mile was visible. Aaron looked at it and said, "Man. That is a loooooong way ..." He wasn't whistlin' dixie, it looked like it went on forever!!

Along the 7/10 of a mile, I could only think that, temperature-wise, this was the most miserable run I've had in almost three years. If not for Aaron, it would have taken every last ounce of grit I have to finish!

As a reward for even going out in the first place, I put a halt to the pace with a quarter mile to go, and we walked it back. Neither of us had much water left, and I could feel the heat just sucking the energy out of my muscles. With no desire for a heat cramp, I put on the breaks. Not only was that okay, it was wise. As I've noted, I don't run fast, but I do run smart.

We made it back all safe and sound! And, apparently, happy!
Outta our ways ... cold Diet Cokes are calling our names!!
Tomorrow's a Rest Day with just one more run to go before a break!!! SO EXCITED!! I'm ready from head to toe to chill it out for a bit! See you from a relaxed posture tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment