Friday, July 13, 2012

Lovely Little Nugget

Before I even begin today, I want to note that the irony doesn't escape me that on the day I write about a tasty treat from the kitchen is the same day I receive the race route to October's Half marathon. HA! It made me laugh. And, with that, here we go!

Okay, as you know, after a long run, I am craving a Diet Coke. Hands down, after chugging some water, that's what I want.

There are occasions, though, where my body is calling for a very, small bite of something sweet. Those are days where I've run particularly long and it's particularly hot (although, I totally admit and happily recall those days used to be called "3-mile days" :)!). So, it was a real treat to come across the following recipe when I was scoping out the Runner's World Facebook page! Check it out! And, spoiler alert ... get ready to make them!! They're no bake and perfect for summer!

They're called S'mores Oatmeal Bites. I was attracted to them because I am a sucker for any way possible to use or otherwise slip in oatmeal to a recipe! Before the rundown, here's the link to the original recipe! Now, ready ... set ... roll!
The ingredients are crazy easy ...
1 C oats
1/2 C graham cracker crumbs
1/3 C mini chocolate chips
3/4 C marshmallow fluff
All you have to do is mix up the "dry" ingredients (marshmallow
fluff doesn't count as dry here). And, if chocolate chips are in a
recipe, isn't it a law or something that some must go directly in
your mouth? I think it's on the books ...
There it is ready for the fluff ...
I wasn't really looking forward to using the marshmallow given
how crazy sticky it is. There is a suggestion in the recipe to spray
your spoon with nonstick spray to help the mixing. I tried that,
but I found it easiest to just use my hands and work it in.
Once everything's mixed, roll into balls! Mine were in the
ballpark of 1 inch.
There's the stash!
And, there are my taste-testers ... they popped theirs in, and ...
... I love when I get a double-thumbs up!!
These little nuggets were really yummy! Of course, they didn't taste like a S'more from the campfire (does anything?!), but they were a great little treat!! They'll be a great way to curb the crave after one of these crazy summer runs! One will be perfect to pop after the water and the Diet Coke!
The fam has done a stellar job demolishing the batch I made (wait a minute ... they weren't running ...!!), so I think I'll have at least two little helpers on the next round!

Thank you, Liz, from Little Bitty Bakes!! These are a great new treat in the homestead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment