Monday, July 23, 2012

Looks Can Be Deceiving

It was when PC#2 was born that I really got in the groove of walking every day. A friend of mine in the neighborhood and I met almost every morning and walked the same 3-mile route I often run. I distinctly remember one morning when, as we passed a runner, she said, "I do not get why people run. At all. I mean, they never look happy."

Given this is what I looked like immediately after this morning's run ...
Post-run pic or mug shot? Your call.
... I'd say she had a point! I guess at that time, she and I didn't stop and think about it's not so much what one looks like as much as it's about how one feels.

Oh, but in the just-being-real category about how it feels, I will note that I was almost finished when I told myself, "Don't Quit". I had 137 steps to run (yup, counted). That's it. But, it was hot and I was ready to be finished. It happens, and so what. I still ran those 137 steps and finished up!

If it's 137 steps for me, how many is it for Elly?

It doesn't take long after a run to go from looking like the above to looking like this:
Ba-da-bing! It's a nickel bouty out there! And, of course, lovin'
the addition to the BB collection. It's just fun!
The facial expression turn-around time is usually in the 5-minute ballpark. Always doable! And, the way it feels as a whole lasts a very, very long time! That just has to be remembered in the running moment: It's not necessarily about right now ...

Elly couldn't be bothered with her fans today as she poised herself at her water and stayed put:
PC#3 was initially happy to take a pic with me ...
... 'til he realized I smelled really bad and had no problem telling me so. Just for that, a pic was in order!
Picture agreed upon as long as there was distance between us!
I'm not digging the heat, but I'm thankful to still be able to go out and run. The morning temps aren't fun, but they are fine.

Oh ... and, to the guy we saw running at 2 p.m. yesterday in a sweatshirt in 100+ degree heat without so much as a visible water bottle ... it hurt to see you. Seriously upsetting. If that was about a body image issue, you don't have a problem. Even if you did, that was a heck of a risk. It is my prayer for you that you see yourself how we saw you, and that you will keep yourself safe.

Kicking back for Rest Day tomorrow! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment