Saturday, June 21, 2014

Welcome Summer!

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 96 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 452.4 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 219 Money Found For Food Bank: $33.85

Happy first day of Summer!! I often miss this particular day on the calendar since I feel like Summer begins when school ends, but, because I actually realized today's the day, I thought I'd give it a shout out!
 
Elly and I welcomed Summer with a 4-mile run this morning! I was thankful the weather allowed for Elly to join me. It was warm, but it was nothing she couldn't handle. Besides, I've figured out how to get water in her with my water bottle, so I feel better about her being with me for it. Her temperature parameters are the same, but these warmer runs are now even better for her.
 
I only had 2 miles to go to keep myself on target for my year-end goal, but I was motivated by money (is that so wrong?). You see, I could scope 2 specific spots within 2 miles, or, I could scope an additional 3 by adding on. I had the energy to do it, so we went for it to the tune of 42 total cents for The Food Bank today. Booyah!
 
And, when I say I had the energy to do it, I think what I really had was the mental energy more so than the physical! Right before we hit the second mile, I was feelin' it!! My thighs were all kinds of, "Oh, hell no, you promised TWO!" Fortunately, my mental energy has almost always trumped the physical. At least, that's what happens when I really want whatever it is that's making me tired!
 
If my two legs were tired, what about Elly's 4?!
"Oh, mommy, I was just fine. And, when I'm not fine, I have
no problem pulling over. You know that by now. Now ...
let's get going!! Move! Move! Move!"
She takes that Trainer title of hers and gets all bossy.
 
Elly did have her head on a little straighter today than she has of late. While she needs direction when by the streets and crossing, lately she has been doing things like just deciding to cross even though I've not given the word or deciding to change directions (usually toward oncoming traffic). It's not just annoying, it's scary. Fortunately, the leash is strong, and she's very responsive when I catch on to her clueless ways! Today, she was totally in sync with me even to the point she appeared to watch for cars at crosswalks. I mean, she wasn't, but she looked like it:
"I got this, mommy."
Our last two miles felt markedly different from our first two. I don't know if that's because the first mile or two tend to suck no matter what, or if it was simply because we were past the half-way mark, and everything feels better when you're at that point where there more behind you than there is in front of you. Either way, we cruised right along the back half and finished reasonably strong!
 
Our end point was a predetermined pick-up spot where Aaron met us. That gave Elly an opportunity to participate in one of her very favorite activities:
Go ears, GO!!
Even though the windows are down, these remind me of this sign I saw during my fabulous Rest Week:
Let this serve as your heads up should you ever ride in the
passenger seat of my car. Just sayin'.
That was, indeed, a great way to officially kick off Summer! Make this day exactly what you want it to be, and I'll check in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment