Monday, June 23, 2014

Fighting With Myself Isn't All That Bad. But, Falling On a Cactus Is.

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 97 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 457.4 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 224 Money Found For Food Bank: $33.86

And, to start off my Monday, I fell into a cactus plant. This one:
What a total drag!! I was rescuing one of the poor tomato plants that got pummeled by recent rain when I started to stand up and, instead, fell back. That wasn't a big deal until I landed on the cactus! See all of those little needles? Yeah, they blanketed the back of my leg. And, what was worse was knowing I was going to have to stop and take time to deal with that when I wanted to head out for my run! Apparently, I should have left the plant and just run!
 
Well, not to be stopped, I got out a roll of duct tape, and I went to work as best I could. Yup, I duct taped myself the way some wax legs. It seemed the best solution considering I couldn't contort myself so as to actually see what was going on. After a few rounds of tape-and-rip followed by a light wash with a warm washcloth, it seemed I got the bulk of 'em (as I continue to pull some out throughout the day/evening). I'll keep an eye on the area for a while (well, Aaron will since I really, really am not a contortionist) to make sure there's no sign of irritation or infection caused by one we couldn't find. And, in the meantime, we all carry on!
 
Of course, for the first half mile of my run, I thought of all of the freak things that could happen from such an incident including being one in a billion people who might be allergic to some random plant extract that lives in such cactus needles that no one even knows about until it takes someone down. Then, I'd make the news and medical journals in a really bad way. I mean, I don't even like tomatoes all that much. They're okay, but they're no artichoke.
 
Follow that? Then you understand my mind when I run.
 
The run itself, however, was really good. Five miles out and back with the pooch; can't complain about that! I loved some of the scenery, like this ...
... and, this ...
But, one of my favorite sights were these after Elly found a puddle in the grass:
There's nothing like puppy prints!!
While the run was a good one, I'm still working on convincing myself that I really, really want to hit 1,000 miles by the end of the year. Here's the deal: I really, really do want to hit it. What I'm working on is entirely convincing myself that I do, indeed, want to put in the work to get there! I mean, I do want to. But, I kind of don't. But, I totally do. But, I'm not sure I do. But, I DO.
 
Just bein' real.
 
This is the right personal challenge for me, by the way. My internal conflict is not taking away the enjoyment of running in the least. You might recall I bailed on my do-something-every-day challenge earlier this year as soon as I determined it wasn't worth it nor was it very fun. This is different because I'm enjoying what I'm doing. I think (think ... I'm still thinking about it!) my conflict has more to do with the fact that it's Summer and wishing I could use more mornings to sleep a little longer and not that I don't want to run! I admit I keep evaluating, but I keep coming to the same conclusion: Just Keep Going!
 
And, so, we do. In fact, we continue forth tomorrow! Tomorrow's bound to start off better than today simply by refraining from falling on a cactus! Have a non-prickly start to your day, and I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment