Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Who Needs In-Tact Toes Anyway

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 84 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 385.4 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 177.9 Money Found For Food Bank: $31.31

It used to be that I needed a week after a Half to recover. More recently, it seems I need a few days to heal some wounds:
Just in general, my toes have taken a beating this year. But, after Saturday, the little piggy that stayed home and the one that cried wee-wee-wee-wee all the way home were disgusting complete with one blister I felt forming at Mile 8 and the other I wasn't aware was there until Sunday. I would have showed the battle wounds yesterday, but they looked like a crime scene. So, you get the aftermath that's been bandaged for some semblance of cushion during the morning run. They're healing pretty fast, but I will note that I never knew to what extent the top of my stayed-home toe touches carpet when I walk until now.
 
Those spots are sore, but running isn't making them worse, so Elly and I were at it again this morning! It was far less humid which was a very big relief to us both! It was also refreshing to run this route any ol' way I wanted with zero on my mind about using these miles to build up to a race. I even took a minute to stop and smell some roses ...
Yummy smells for us both. Roses for me;
potato chip bag for the hound!
There's every chance in the world I would have done that anyway, but, again, it's nice to have some loose parameters right now!
 
So, speaking of parameters which means I'm thinking about goals, I'm going to sit down with the calendar very soon to map out a plan for the rest of the year. I already have a Half scheduled for Fall, so that builds in 8-10 weeks of specific miles. I want to work around those to see how to best accomplish my end-of-the-year goal of 1,000 miles. Or, I'll find out it's ridiculous, and I'll create a Plan B ... !
 
Okay, back to today's run because this was pretty fabulous ... There we were, jogging along, when we approached one of my very favorite areas which is where all of the ally cats congregate. I pretty consistently see members of the tabby quartet, some of whom I did see today. I got a treat with the appearance of the long-haired black beauty ...
Elly saw her up ahead before I did!
Silly me, I expected s/he would skidoo as we approached like the others do. HA! Not so much. Instead, s/he hunkered down, poised and ready to do damage if necessary:
That cat did.not.move. a muscle except to watch us pass. I would have taken another picture, but there was a dude who works there hanging out, and I just didn't feel like explaining. Or being looked at weird. That cat's a beauty, but I warned Elly as we passed that it could take her if antagonized, so she needed to mind her manners.

But, really, who -- man or beast -- would even consider being nasty to this sweet face?
I *love* when her tongue goes wonky!
We wound up just shy of 4 1/2 miles, and we scored five pennies along the way. That's a good way to start the day!

Tomorrow? It's a Rest Day because I scheduled a dentist appointment right at the same time I'd be running. That's what happens when you're expected to figure out a wee part of your life 6 months in advance! I'll check in after anyway! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment