Saturday, May 3, 2014

Rest Day Fake Out

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 71 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 309.1 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 146.8 Money Found For Food Bank: $27.30

First thing's first: WAY TO GO, MARY KATE (whom you know as virtual running partner extraordinaire) for taking on a challenge that gave you a big case of the nerves!!! I'm so proud of you!!!!

One of the things I've always hated about the Half Marathon training schedule I use is that there is a 4-mile run assigned immediately following the 10-milers. I always thought that was kind of mean. But, I also get that it's designed with a purpose and is good for my muscles in a way that I once learned but did not pay enough attention to in order to retain. And, this schedule has always worked ...

But, rules were made to be broken, right? So, in line with this entire calendar year and my messed up training schedule, I decided today was a Rest Day, and the 4 miles would come tomorrow.

Wrong AGAIN!

Today was a big garage sale day around here, and I was unintentionally up really early. Like, 6 a.m. early. That's not normal on a Saturday! Evidently, I was ready to get my shop on! I stayed in bed for a bit pondering getting up and running before garage saling (seeing as I already blew my opportunity to sleep in), but I convinced myself that a Rest Day would be good for me, and I'd just run tomorrow.

Fast forward through three hours and almost three miles of garage sales coupled with the many different activities today that sent each family member in a different direction, and I decided I needed to knock these 4 miles out today so that we could all be in the same place at the same time to play together tomorrow!

Just noting that, clearly, I can run three miles way faster than I can garage sale through them. I might have to pull that out of my mental arsenal next time I'm feeling sluggish ...

It was this kind of day:
Perfect.
I can't tell you the last time I ran at 11 a.m. It was kind of weird! What was great, though, is that years ago, I would have talked myself out of running today a million different ways ... I need  the rest; I'm going to be too tired from walking through all of those garage sales; I do better running in the morning; it's already too warm; I don't think I can  do this today; this is not what I planned ...

That last one is a big one because when I had a running plan in the beginning, nothing got in my way. In fact, the very idea of messing with the schedule scared the bajeebers out of me because I trusted the schedule wayyyy  more than I trusted myself. I call it a victory in and of itself that I now stick to the schedule as best I can, but if it gets poked, then I adjust as best I can and just move. on.

I didn't take Elly, to her dismay, as it was 70 degrees with the sun out straight overhead. That's not good for a girl in a fur coat and no ability to sweat! And, might I say, for the first time all year, I had my sweat on from the get-go!
Bring on the aaaagguuuuaaaaaa ...
Just like yesterday, Elly's disappointment went to the wayside as soon as I hit the door, and she lead me to the deck for a finish photo:
And, then she resumed her daily duties:
Smart girl.
Okay, tomorrow we rest FOR REAL!! Enjoy the rest of your Saturday, and I'll check in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment