Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Teaching It Forward

This is the first morning this calendar year where the temperatures the day prior were in the 90s. That, my friends, amounts to a very hot morning run and a revisit to the how-to-run-when-it's-hot learning curve! I'm not complaining as I've thoroughly enjoyed each and every run where I've not had heat stroke cross my mind even once. This morning's dominating mantra, though, was, "Oh, yeah ... that's what this is."

And, by this, I mean that sensation of feeling your body deplete of fluids and energy even though you're doing the exact same thing you've been doing and feeling perfectly fine. This is the weather that used to make me doubt myself, where I felt I must be doing something wrong or I need a break or I was never as good at this as I thought I was. None of that, by the way, was ever true. I just didn't understand the power behind the heat and how really hard that is on your body. I get it now, though. More importantly, I respect it and make necessary adjustments while running without making up reasons to feel sorry for myself in the process.

So, yeah, today was one of those. The temp also pushed the limit of how hot it can be before I leave Elly at home. My cut-off for her is 80 degrees, and it was 76. So, she got to join me, but that was with a promise to myself that I keep a sharp eye on her. We did have a decent wind that brought some relief, so, by and large, we were all good.

The first mile was rough as the sun was in full force, and there were no spots of shade. Right when hitting the second mile, though, along came a cloud friend:
Ahh ... relief!
It was also here where we were running down hill, so it was the perfect combination to break up a remarkably hot-for-the-temperature first mile.

The focus of today's run was entirely on the temperature and making sure we were both safe and (for me) tuning in on how to adjust. I've most certainly run in hotter temps, and they are definitely on their way, but that first run out in a sudden upswing of degrees gets my attention so we can keep on keepin' on and not passing out on the street. (And, how totally unfair would it be for my running adventures to involve finding pennies while the adventures of others' would be to fine me ...)

We wrapped up our three safe and sound ... but, I had one tired hound!!
She didn't even want to turn her body. Once she was sitting
down, that's all the movement she was going to give!
I spent extra focus on today, too, so I could plan for preparing PC#2 for warmer temps on her long run this weekend. It's going to be an adventure for the two of us to run together this summer!! She's about to experience just how serious I am about my focus being "cover the distance". I was so thankful to have an experienced runner teach and emphasize that concept to me a couple of years ago during a particularly hot stretch of summer, so I'm so happy to have an opportunity to teach it!

In the meantime, she's pounding away her weekday miles on the treadmill (so proud of her!), and Elly and I will hit it again in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment