Monday, June 10, 2013

Scaredy Puppy

I was dragging a bit this morning (because it was morning) when I checked out my Facebook page and saw a friend of mine posted this:
BAM! There it was right in my face telling me to wake up. While I did not feel like completely waking up at that moment, I did feel like rocking the day. So, I put intentional effort into coming into total conciousness so Elly and I could head out and run!

It's a good thing I came to all of my senses before going because it turned out Elly was high maintenance with regard to her running-by-traffic issues. The girl needed me!

On this particular route, there is a short stretch where the sidewalk butts up against the curb which happens to be the same small stretch where we are running with the traffic (but, on a sidewalk). See?
Cars from behind her made her crazy-nervous this morning!
See? She's looking for them!
I've hard-core trained Elly to walk on the left* when on a leash, and she follows that structure which becomes problematic for these 100 or so yards. *(I'm totally old-school in that way ... everyone knows what they're doing, and everyone knows where everyone is rather than letting the dog go willy nilly which seems cute but is problematic when needing to control them.) Trucks coming up behind us are loud and scary for her. I know I've previously mentioned this, but today, more than usual, she was really skittish. When a truck passed, she didn't just run in front of or into me; at one point, she tucked her entire hind quarters under her while side-stepping as fast as she could into the grass on my right. (I'd let her go there on this stretch, but the aforementioned is too ingrained for her to allow herself.) As soon as her rear went down -- seriously, like she was being beaten; it was actually really sad! -- the running part of the program was put on hold so I could get over far enough in the grass that she, too, could distance herself from the very, scary trucks.

We walked until we could safely cross the street (which really didn't bother me as this stretch is also up hill ... thanks, Elly!!). While waiting to cross, I squated down so I could give her some assurance:
She was totally focused on me while I
talked to her and rubbed her ears, but as
soon as I stopped, she whipped her head
around to see what might come from
behind her!! Poor girl!
Once safe to cross, we were again on our way! All went great for the rest of the run because we were where Elly felt super safe. That's not to say there weren't a handful of running hazards ahead of us, like ...
It's trash day which I am totally used to on this stretch and
expect to have to jog around. I do not tend to expect total
sidewalk blockage by both trash and vehicle ... makes for an
interesting dance to get both of us around it all!
... but, running up to a hazard is much different from fearing one you (Elly) can't see!

Well, we made it back completely in tact!! We're also both ready for tomorrow's Rest Day! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment