Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I Win Every Time. I Decided That a Long Time Ago.

I just had an awesome conversation with a friend. Besides just enjoying talking to her, our discussion brought to the surface topics so many of us wrestle with -- those very topics that hold us back from being all we can be. The biggest topic of issue is one on which I've written and spoken for -- literally -- decades. (I used to be in the full-time work force where part of my job was to give program presentations including on motivation ... can you even believe I have not always been the runner extraordinaire you have before you? I know, it's hard to wrap your mind around.)

The topic? Drum roll, please ... rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat. Tat. ...

Comparing ourselves to others. This is a Big Nancy No-No. No, no, no, no, no. No. Engaging in comparison typically means someone is a loser. Period. You know what I'm talking about: That person is better than/worse than/faster than/skinnier than/dumber than ... Even if you come out ahead in your mind, someone else just came out less than. What's the point in that?

We all do it as we jockey ourselves into a particular position and/or guard ourselves from feeling inferior or touching on our insecurities. I get that. Boy, do I get that! But, while I'm all about playing a game or entering a competition where there's an official winner, in general, how 'bout we all work hard to reach our own potential no matter how that looks to someone else?

Ah, now there's a thought. Your success might (and probably does) look different from someone else. That can be a tough one; it requires you to hold strong to what you know is right for you and not sell out to someone else's definition of success. That sell out is going to cost you a great deal. I don't recommend it.

I know of what I speak because, let's face it -- I came in behind thousands  of other runners at October's Half (for real, there are a lot of speedy people out there). You might remember, though, that I crossed the finish line declaring that I totally won. See?
I just announced my winning status.
That moment had nothing to do with anyone else; it had to do with my own success.

My outcome looks different from the other runners in front of and behind me every time. Different isn't better or worse (except possibly as compared to the very first place winner who was actually competing ... that person actually won and won cash. All the rest of us? Same field, baby.). What's really is cool is that when we can see our own success for what it is, we can genuinely cheer the success of others. And, that's totally fun!

There is no doubt that I would not have run a single step four years ago if I traded what I knew I wanted to do (and the way I wanted to do it ) for the opinion of others. My way won't get me on any podium, I won't bring home the cash prize, my family has plenty of time to grab a snack or meal  between my start and finish lines, I'm not running up super-ultra-mountains, and I've not invested in gadgets that report on how well I did or did not do. I already know how I did. Besides, holy crap, my way is a whole lot of fun and keeps me going.

See? I. Totally. Win.

I also have no doubt that if I compared myself to others, I'd find absolutely no humor in this because I'd find it too real in a humiliating way:
I saw this on the I Love To Run Facebook page during their
picture caption contest, and I doubled over. Been there ...
applicable after October's Half, too, just sayin'.
Is there something out there you're wanting to try but have held yourself back because of fear? Are you stressing out comparing yourself to others? Do you even realize you're comparing yourself to others? It's totally human, but I promise you it's also totally unnecessary. You know the path that is right for you. And, when you lose some sight of it, picture my running path crossing every finish line knowing I just won.

See you tomorrow after the morning run! I'm on a mission for this one (you'll never guess), so there's a suprise report tomorrow! See you then!

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Have you ever been involved such a situation when a person has robbed you online and took your intellectual property? Thank you so much in advance for your answer.

    ReplyDelete