Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Celebrating Twelve Twelve Twelve

It's not just a running day -- it's an extra great day for me because it's my birthday!! YAHOO!!! I do love my birthday!
Starting the day off with a run was perfect for me! In fact, I didn't just start it off with a run, but I just had to wear my new shirt so Elly and I could go out all coordinated. See?
Looking tired and looking alarmed ...
what a great pair!
I almost wore the shirt to sleep in last night, but I thought it might be a bit too funky to wear it all day then to bed then to run. I put two layers under it for the run to try and protect it from running yucks. The layers helped, but I was compelled to immediately do laundry when I got home.
Laundry on my birthday! Yay! Actually, it's no big deal. I used
to take final exams on my birthday, so I've been over the day
being pure in celebration for a mighty long time!
But, before getting to washing the running clothes, I, of course, had to get out on out there!

You might recall from yesterday my plan was to set sail and just go wherever and however far I decided on a whim. When he learned of that plan last night, Aaron and I had the following exchange:

Aaron: (Your mileage) needs to be a factor of 12.
Me: Hmm. How 'bout "one."
Aaron: It's a factor of 12.

Simply put and definitive. That's my man.

Of course, I ran more than one mile today. Also on the "of course" list is that I picked a route with the best promise for money! I was suprised to find Penny Number One only about a quarter of the way into the run, but it was awesome! Also awesome was getting right there in that moment and really getting  that I was out enjoying a run (of all things) on my 44th birthday. I still have to remind myself sometimes that, yes, this is what I do and that, somehow, I've come to have a lot of fun!

Elly and I wound ourselves around all kinds of places that included three money-hopeful drive-thru spots (two disappointed, one produced, no gum-on-a-straw required) and a couple of new parking lots (there's often big bank in the parking lots if you have the opportunity to look). Along what turned out to be our 4-mile route (factor of 12 ... fabulous), we scored big time!
An awesome stash ... one more penny, though, would have been
perfection today!
Elly was super a-nnoy-ing for most of the route which often happens when we explore new territory. Her sniffer was on overdrive which often leads to a little scuttle between gal pals for directional lead. We get it worked out, though. And, really, who better to wrap up a birthday run than with the one with me on my first four years ago?
"I have no recollection of that day, mommy.
I have no recollection of yesterday, mommy.
But, I will always go with you."
I do not take birthdays for granted nor do I claim to dislike getting older. In fact, quite the opposite is true on both counts! I love my birthday, I love celebrating the gifts of my family, my friends, my health ... and my often-annoying-when-running hound! I don't know anyone more blessed than I!

With that, I'm off to continue the day-o-celebration! Tomorrow's run will be a wee bit rough because tonight's birthday dinner has zero  redeeming value in the health category ... but, it's going to be fun! See you tomorrow after the run!

No comments:

Post a Comment