Monday, April 23, 2012

Here We Go Again!

Good day, sunshine!! It's back to the pavement today as Rest Week is over (boo!)! I am a little split on that, though ... the first few days of a Rest Week rock entirely, but, by the end, I do have a bit of an itch to get back to it. (I must be feverish ...) So, this morning, I laced up my shoes, and it really felt good! It kind of reminded me of when I used to tie my cleats before a soccer game. Somehow, just the act of putting on specific shoes for a specific function and tying them made me feel cool.

Now that I'm no longer that teen or 20-something taking the soccer field to task, I remind myself that trucking along at 43 after having started at 39 holds its own brand of cool! Keep that in mind whenever you are taking on a challenge ... it's not like we were when we were teenagers, and even though there are those around us who are probably doing what we're doing faster or whatever, we're still doing it. And, that counts for a lot!

Speaking of a cool factor, it was quite chilly out this morning! The temp was just right to create some fabulous dew which is oh-so pleasing to my pup! See?
Let's look from another angle, shall we?
I was so glad to restart the journey with Elly joining me today!! You might remember that she started exhibiting some tummy troubles post-4-milers, so, I stopped taking her on those-or-longer runs. I was stoked to realize my schedule started with a 3 today! I'm secretly pondering bringing her on Wednesday's 4, though. Shhh ... don't let her know yet ...

We had an unexpectedly great run!! This was, by far, the best back-to-it run I've had after either of the other Half runs. I think the main reason it was so good is because of how seriously I'm considering this upcoming Half, and, in doing so, I simply cannot let my brain come all the way down to my normal baseline. I have to maintain some mental momentum to keep the mileage higher in order to do this right (right = my pace, my way, not hurting myself). The day to decide is this weekend still, but today's run points toward all systems GO.

So, I either worked my mental game the right way to make this a great run OR it's because I found some coins!!
There's one penny, but I found another
one and a dime!! Yahoo!! More money
than miles, baby!
I'm not going to lie, finding a penny here and there on these runs actually makes a bit of a difference in my outlook! It's like a perpetual treasure hunt. How fun is that?

I learned something else today: You know how people say you should never go to the grocery store hungry because you'll impulse buy whatever looks tasty? First, I agree with that. Been there. But, my real point is I realized today that the very best thing I can do for myself and my family is to go grocery shopping right after I run! (It's probably not beneficial to those who have to stand in line by me, but ...) When I'm at the store after running, I crave the good stuff and find myself steering clear of things that aren't the best fuel. Don't get me wrong, my cart is not perfect, but it is so much better after a run! See?
Back off, cat, you don't even like produce ...
I probably look a bit happily frantic when I see how inexpensive the produce is at my friend Aldi, and if people around me haven't experienced my running fumes, then they might be concerned as I look as though I'm about to drool on the ol' oranges. (Fortunately, I can control that in a store ... but sometimes not when running! Ew, but true.)

And, now that I'm seeing those grapes and oranges, I'm off to indulge and carry on with the day! Take on your Monday knowing it's not about what others are doing ... it's about your successes!! Have at it, and I'll see you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think you are writing specifically for me! I know you are not but it sure reads like it to me!!!

    ReplyDelete