Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sometimes, Indecision Works For Me!

Good day, sunshine!
Hello, 6:30 a.m. sun ... I don't tend to see you ...
I think "Good day, sunshine!" every time I head out for an early morning run when I first see the sun, but I can't stand the song of the same name ... makes for a challenge in my head to over-write the lyrics and push 'em out. Today's song bringing on success? "Pour Some Sugar On Me." Thank you, Def Leppard ...

See the issues I sometimes have running? It's a tricky little sport sometimes, I'm telling you.

It's trickier still when I intended to make this run the one to decide whether or not to register for the upcoming Half Marathon opportunity, and the end of the story is: Still No Decision! Here's how it unfolded:

I knew just the route I wanted to use for these 10 miles; it has promise of good scenery and is challenging without killing myself. Then, late last night, I had the brainstorm to run it backward (not literally, that would make me fall down). I decided to flip it "just because." What I didn't really think through was how many of the hills are strategically in good places going one direction, but they're more than a nuisance going the other. Whoopsie. But, the upcoming Half course is very challenging, so, in truth, this on-a-whim decision probably served me very well.

Okay, so I totally cruised the first three miles without issue. At that point, I reminded myself of when that wasn't even possible. So, mini celebration for me, and I continued on my way. Then, mile 4 provided me with some fun!
These two cracked me up. The one in the back kept honking
all the way across the street. I found that very smart. Cars do,
why not geese in the road? (By the way, that little hill? Ouch!)
And, there's our friend Mallard. I was hoping to see him today!
For this route, I go up and around this street, then I turn around to hit it again. Boy, was I rewarded for the turn around! Look!
Just when I thought this was the same pair as before, I noticed
the original couple on my right. These on the left had a family!
Honking all the way across. Bravo for safety! (I think I enjoyed
this more than those in the cars stopped going both ways!)
How cute is that? My favorite is all the way over to the left.
The one with his head under water. I know there's one in the
middle with his head under, but the one on the left is just
going for it!
I was able to get close enough to only be hissed at but not so
close either adult wanted to attack. I can't imagine how much
it would blow to get attacked by a goose. That would probably
make my running-this-Half decision easier, though ... What a
great reason. "Well, you see, I was attacked by a goose ... no,
really, I was ..."
This kind of thing totally reinvigorates me! (Seeing the babies, not the thought of goose attacks)Maybe it's because it's just so darned cool, or maybe it's because I stopped running for a minute! Either way, how totally fun to have this happen along the way!

Full of viewing pleasure and flush with cash after finding a dime on this stretch, I started back up realizing I really did need to keep on keepin' on if I was going to finish any time soon! Onward I went, and I even saw my friend out running! You know the one ... the one I saw back in March, and when I stopped to say "hi" I slipped off a curb. Nice! No stopping today! We kept it at waving today!

Soon after all of the goodness, I started to feel it coming. My legs were clearly getting tired, and I immediately started to wonder if I was doing the right thing considering this upcoming Half. I could just feel the uncertainty hitting me. It wasn't so much that I was doubting myself, it was really just a matter of figuring out if I was genuinely physically ready to take on another Half so soon. Keeping in mind my main priority is to not hurt myself, I take this question really seriously.

The thing is, making that decision right in the moment -- the first moment -- I felt uncertain is a big mistake. If I stopped every time I felt uncertain or even felt tired, I'd never keep going. Right when I passed mile 6, I had an opportunity to regroup. It was there where I could turn right and keep on the route I'd mapped, or I could turn left and get home faster. Turning left would also seal the deal that the upcoming Half is not a possibility as I'd be messing too much with the training miles I use.
That way means I keep on going ... and
there's a hill I hate over there. Yowza...
But, I'm not going to know if I don't try ...
darn it all!!!
So, I took off going right (onward with the plan!). After about 10 steps, I stopped. I turned around with every intention of heading home when I stopped at the same corner, turned around again, and continued on with the planned route. I just couldn't see making this decision in the moment. I'm not that impulsive in my life in general (take that impulse-at-the-counter buys!), so why start now?

Just around the corner of mile 6 is a steep incline, and I chose to walk up it. It was here my calves started aching (in that we're-warning-you  way ... I've learned what to listen to and what I can work through, and my calves are not only pretty bossy, but they make me pay when I don't listen!), so a little walk was both refreshing and required. I spent that time working to switch my brain from decision-making mode to rethinking mode. The moral of rethinking mode is that I remembered I originally wanted two long runs behind me before deciding about this Half option. Not one. Two. I still have time for another to truly evaluate how things are cranking.

Sticking with the original, thought-out strategy seemed the most wise of all options. And, I felt great about it!

This run then shifted to a just-finish situation, and that was just fine! In truth, I was still having a good time so why ruin it with the pressure?! I was, though, getting hot, my calves traded cramp warnings with my toes (oh, yeah ... that's an awesome sensation! And, not at all painful when going up a hill! Thanks, toes!), and  I ran out of water!
Didn't I just pass a gas station where I could have filled this?!
Yeah, I think I did! Great planning! Grrrr ...
I also ran out of giving a hoot if I was walking or running, so I rested my grouchy muscles and walked a stretch. There was a day I would have berated myself for doing so. Today, not at all!
Thumbs up to the walk break and just moving on!!
I alternated running and walking for the last mile, and my toes in particular thanked me for it. And, look what I came across on the way:
I've seen all kinds of mess on the road, much of which seems
to be the aftermath of late-night weekend munchies. I'd love to
know just who thought fish sticks would do the trick ...
Upon my arrival home, the entire Pit Crew was right inside. I said hello but didn't smile because I was pretty whipped. Aaron asked, "How'd it go?!" to which I replied, "It hurt!" and I kept going toward the water! I heard PC#3 ask, "How far did she go?" Aaron told her which is when I heard PC#3 give a low "Woahhh" grunt. To be honest, that understanding is a little validating after a tough one!

So, there's no official decision about the Half Marathon, and that's all good! I know I need that next long run. I also noticed my time when I returned home today, and it ended up taking me only 7 minutes longer than planned to finish these miles even after walk breaks and let's-ponder-this breaks and birdie breaks. That indicates to me this is totally doable, I just have to get really clear on what I'm wanting to accomplish and what I want to give to get it! That's a great spot to be in -- yet again, I get to determine the outcome. I am totally the boss of my running!

In the meantime, I share with you my super scores of the day ...:
Two rounds of silver bling ... ba-da-bing!
... and two of the reasons my current decision will ultimately be pretty easy to make because I know it will be supported no matter what:
"We'll support whatever you decide, Mom! Right now, we're
just glad that you smell better than you did an hour ago!"
Tomorrow's Rest Day! That rules! I have fun stuff to show you, so I'll see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment