Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Big Picture

It was a big day for Elly as she joined me on her first 4-mile run since the Fall!! Hooray! You might recall that she presented me with the aftermath of her post-4 miler tummy troubles -- twice -- so, I sidelined her for runs more than 3 miles. It just seemed like the right thing to do. And, less gross.

But, months later, I had the itch to try her again. And, she (as always) had the itch to go!
"I am soooo ready to go, and I hear PC#3 getting a bread bag.
That has to be a good sign!!"
I am more than pleased to report the end of the story in that she did great! No post-run problems whatsoever! Hooray! In fact, instead of being all worked up afterward, she went exactly the opposite direction:
"I am exhausted. I don't think I'll move for the rest of the day."
"Wait ... I will actually move thiiiiiissss far ... Ahhh ..."
I understand why she was so zapped by the time we got home. Not only has she not been conditioned as of late for regular running, but it was considerably warmer this morning than it has been for a few days. The roller coaster temperatures in and of themselves make running a challege as every temperature has an impact, and you have to figure out how to manage whatever it does to you! Can't I just go out and run without it being complicated? (I guess not!)

I did pay closer attention to Elly given the temperature. My general guide is that I assume -- based on watching her in the past and how she's behaved -- the temperature feels about 10 degrees warmer to her than to me. So, if I'm warm, she's quite warm (if I'm hot, she's not with me), and that needs accommodation. By "accommodation" I mean, "slowing down."

Can I just say, "Fine by me!" It was nice to take it easy this morning and have a built-in excuse to do so! She slows me down anyway with all of her investigating and pit stopping ...
"So many smells! So many smells! This is awesome! And, the
grass pampers my paws! Win-win!"
 ... but, today, that was all okay with me. Besides, I got to check out the scenes myself:
These are everywhere right now! Fabulous!
Between Elly's multiple stops, my shoe coming untied, slowing down to investigate the possibility of finding a coin (which, today, turned out to be bird poo; always a disappointment) and having no issue waiting at intersections for cars to go, I have to say that there are many, many people who would define this outing as not a "real" run. I read about it, I hear about it on tv, I hear it amongst the super-fast and the super-competitive, "it" being what constitues a "real" or "true" run.

I respectfully disagree.

For those who want to hard-core compete, who want to win their events and who consistently strive for PRs with regard to time, you are correct in not identifying this outing as one that is going to train me to get to the finish line first. Or second. Or third! But, it's going to get me there, and I'm going to have fun along the way (except when Elly makes a deposit that I then have to carry two and a half miles to the nearest trash can ... yeah, I don't call that part fun).

I recently read a running blog where the author identified his training philosophy as working to make himself better today than he was yesterday (measured in minutes per mile). He's a competitive runner, and his philosophy makes sense. For him. And, truly, his history and achievements are impressive. It's neat to read about.

But, I took the liberty of reworking his philosophy and applying to myself. Not only did I not start running until I was 39, but I have consistently kept going. Therefore, I present The reworked philosophy: Every run today is better than I was for many yesterdays.

Frankly, running consistently without giving up on the effort was an original long-term goal of mine. Or, more accurately, it is a life-long goal. My eye is on that kind of prize, so whatever I do now is in support of what I'm very much wanting to do for decades. (I've said before that I just know I'll place in my age category when I'm in the 70+ group. I'm patient, I can wait!)

My life long goal is part of why, from the get-go, I looked way beyond how I'm doing in terms of time and focused on the whole experience. Granted, I'm not a speed demon anyway, but I knew I didn't have to let that defeat nor define me. There was more to all of this than that. And, my way really, really works for me.

Whatever you're taking on, embrace what it is that makes it yours and makes it important to you. Go ahead and define it yourself! And, be strong in the face of question and judgment. That will happen, but that's okay. It just means you're presenting something a little different. A little unique. A little unexpected. And, I say, a whole lot awesome!

Speaking of awesome, check out my pal:
How happy is that post-run pooch?!
Back at it tomorrow! See you then.

1 comment: