Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Quick From the Kitchen!

It's overcast, it's 15 degrees cooler than yesterday, and both of those add up to a great Rest Day!! The clouds make me just want to hunker down and chill a bit. Ahhh ...

It also makes me want to share the latest test drive from the kitchen! We made kale chips! Here we go:
Only recently has it come to my full attention
that kale is to be eaten like a regular vegetable.
In my defense, I used kale to garnish the salad
bar at my very first job, so it's never been food
to me. It's been decoration. Just sayin'.
Washed, patted dry and torn into pieces.
I had no idea how this would become the
least bit crunchy in fewer than 10 minutes,
but I was willing to give it a whirl!
Very lightly salted and put in the toaster oven at 425 degrees
for 8 minutes. And, what do you know ... they were kind of
crunchy! Not potato-chip-crunchy, though, so don't be fooled.
Elly was so hopeful ...
The Pit Crew verdict. I fell somewhere in
between the two of them. They weren't bad
at all, but I wouldn't cross the room for
them, either. It was a fun way to eat a weird
green leafy, though, and only taking a few
minutes in the toaster oven is a big bonus.
I'm sure we'll make these now and then for the purpose of consuming all that kale has to offer because WOW it's loaded with good stuff. It's super-packed with vitamins and benefits! I spent years thinking it was just a decoration!! Nice work, first job experience! Anyway, as a fan of WebMD for good overviews, I offer you a link to the goodness that is kale here. I have some investigating and planning to do to incorporate this gem into our world!

As my meal entrée, what's better to go with chips than a burger? Mmm ... very backyard picnic, don't you think? I'm not a traditional burger eater, though. My preference (and I do so love this preference!) is Hungry Girl's "Cheeseburger Quesadilla":
Placed inside a La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Low Carb/
High Fiber tortilla, which I learned about from Hungry Girl's
"200 Under 200" book, this is a winning wrap for me!
I didn't see the exact recipe for the "Cheeseburger Quesadilla" on her website, but the "Cheeseburger Chomp" on her site is almost exactly the same. (You're supposed to cook the quesadilla, and I never did anyway, so the Chomp recipe is closer to what I follow anyway.)

Mmm ... mmm ... mmm ... I now know what I'm making for lunch, too!!! Quick and easy and super yummy!!

With that, I continue on with my day and will see you after the morning's 5. I leave you with the cat demonstrating the perfect Rest Day pose:

No comments:

Post a Comment