Monday, December 19, 2011

You Don't Scare Me, RAIN!

This morning's forecast did not call for rain. So, of course it did. See?
It kept starting and stopping, so I decided to just GO. For crying out loud, I've registered for a Half Marathon in April ... like that's not rolling the dice on the weather conditions? I figured I should buck up and just deal with whatever is thrown my way. (So, I can handle the snow and single digit temperatures but not the rain? What, am I going to melt? Mess up my hair?)

Actually, the real reason for always avoiding rain is to avoid the wet shoe syndrome. Nothing about soaked shoes and bunched up wet socks appeals to me.

The first mile was dry from the skies AND, bonus, my Good For You lady called out to me! I hadn't seen her in a while, so that was a very nice treat! I need to change her name, though, because now she waves and yells out, "Hello, Dear!" Fabulous!

Right after the first mile, the rain returned. Drat! At least it was 50 degrees, and, fortunately, I had sense enough to leave Elly at home. If you think stopping to pick up her business rocks the pace of a run, think about what her stopping to futiley shake the water off of her every 20 yards does! My only real hope was finishing with dry shoes because it got to the point that the rain was coming down in steady sheets. But, luck was on the side of my shoes, and I finished just in time before the water really permeated my Lightening-Titanium-Periwinkle shoes!
Mostly dry shoes! Hooray!
(Doesn't Jacques look exhausted from his not-doing-anything stint?)
You can't beat a successful outing. Take THAT rain! It's nice to find out that what you always avoided wasn't really that bad when having to face it. Another winning running moment! And, a winning Monday to you -- see you on Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment