Thursday, December 29, 2011

Not So Restful But OH SO FUN!

As Rest Week continues, we decided to take the young Pit Crew to do something they've never before experienced: Ice Skating! I haven't been in at least 15 years, so it was pretty new-feeling to me, too, not to mention I've developed that "I really, really don't want to fall down" caveat to activities I used to think nothing of doing! A little caution never hurt anyone ... especially that anyone who has already registered and paid for a Half Marathon. Just sayin'.

Here we are just a few moments into it!
AND! Check out this sign Aaron found in the rink:
That information worked out great for Pit Crew #3 and his walking/running challenge, AND there was a bonus in it for me, too ... the next time I'm dragging on a run, I can remind myself that at my present ice skating abilities, I can run almost three times as fast as I can ice skate. Translation: It took darn-near 30 minutes to do the first mile. HA! It was excellent. I'm not sure many people can say the same about their ice skating speed as compared to their running speed. (That no one probably wants to say such a thing is irrelevant for sure.)

I was glad I've been running so this ice skating venture didn't exhaust me. I could feel muscles I don't normally feel, but those I use running were going strong. Hooray! I can tell, though, I'm gonna sleep well tonight!

In addition to such a fabulous afternoon, I have to share two other gems from our trip (seeing as it's mostly-Peanuts week ... I know, I know, I blew it yesterday, but I was so inspired by the magazine ad, so what could I do ... Besides, you can't force Peanuts greatness, so I went with what was genuine.). Anyway, here's score number one:
Peanuts fleece to make myself a huge,
cozy blanket!! Wahoo!!
What does that have to do with running? Nothing. But, it has everything to do with resting ... oh, yeah!!

And! Here is score number two:
Peanuts Easter material ... a new bandana for Elly is on the way
and will debut in the Spring!
Elly's fabulous fashion changes with the seasons and holidays, and I've been searching for Peanuts Easter material for two years. The girl likes to look good and seasonally appropriate when she runs! Besides, she's been a faithful running partner and my early inspiration to continue ... that means "Spoil Her!" to me!

As Rest Week continues, I'm thankful for the health and strength to take on an activity such as ice skating. I'm thankful I outlasted the Pit Crew in endurance -- not because it was a competition, but because I know just a few short years ago, I would have bailed first and early. And, I'm further thankful for our biggest fan, Aaron, to have had his own kind of fun with us even though a little thing called cartilage-transplant-in-his-knee prevents him from participating in such an activity. Not only did he have fun, he also performed very important Pit Crew duties for the team on the rink:
A little bit of first aid is sometimes required!
It was a blister right where his skate boot rubbed ... that was then kicked with his own skate blade from the other foot ... how? I have no idea. He's a little boy. They do these things.
Band aid to the rescue and back to the ice!
It was a great nothing-restful-about-it day! On tomorrow's docket: Not so many fake-rest moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment