Thursday, December 15, 2011

Runners Club

Elly is no fan of the running
club because it means she
doesn't get to join me in the
morning. Poor puppy.
Twice a week, I facilitate a running club at Pit Crew #3's school. They have a loop to run, and they are free to run it as many or as few times as they choose until the bell rings. My job is to keep track of their laps, and, of course, I get to cheer them on.

Some of the kids run with gusto. I mean to tell you, they are chomping at the bit to start, and they want to go-go-GO as many laps as possible. Others have more modest goals in mind, but they are happy with and so proud of the those they've set. There are also those who come out to walk. Every one of them has an individual idea of what makes this club fun.

I watch these kids and get giddy with joy for them because I can't help but thinking back to being their age and knowing I had absolutely not one ounce of desire to do what they are doing. I was okay with running after a soccer ball, but, beyond that, you probably could have gotten me to run only if you poked me with a stick.

While the purpose of the group from the adult point of view is to provide a fun way to socially exercise, all the kids know is that they are having a blast reaching for whatever goal they have set for themselves. And, without a doubt, they are very proud of themselves. It is my privilege to witness what is happening out there.

After my duties there, I go run myself. It was a very uneventful run, but at the end, I noticed that my hair looked an awful lot like Ed Grimley's:
That's truly unfortunate.
Oh well, that's what the shower is for! See you tomorrow on Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment