Friday, December 2, 2011

Sometimes, It's About Something Else Entirely

Brad is a college friend of Aaron's and, through that relation, became a friend of mine. While direct communication has faded through the years, his is a friendship that has strongly remained in heart. And, thanks to social media, both sides have a better idea of what's going on with the other.

Unfortunately, we recently learned our friend lost his Dad. We not only read the news, but we were privileged to also read the obituary written by Brad himself. It was a beautifully written tribute to someone who was very loved, and it so clearly reflected the heart of the author.

I write about this today because I also learned Brad is registered for a Half Marathon this weekend, but he struggled with his planned participation citing it felt selfish. I understood this struggle given the nature of this sport. It is, after all, a solo venture, and, if you let it, it can become more about the measurable outcome than about the internal drive and perseverance to even have a measurable outcome. His initial struggle made that kind of sense to me.

Not surprisingly, knowing of his relationship with his family, he is encouraged and embraced to run that course this weekend. He was told that his very proud Dad had been telling a lot of people about his participation. In short, it was clear even to me that his Dad would want him to run.

I tip my hat to you, Brad, for going forth and honoring your Dad in this way. It is during a run I've done some of my best thinking. My best remembering. My best soul searching. I hope that is what this time gives to you because that's how I've found it to work when you're out there, just you. I've mentioned here before that while running impacts my life, my life also impacts my running, and I know your run is about to be nothing like you thought it would be. It is going to be more profound than you're going to be able to articulate. I suspect some miles will feel unbearable; I pray others will be beautiful.

I won't wish you good luck because that's not what it's about. It's about something else entirely. Take that time to be in your head and in your heart with your Dad. And know how many people are behind you to do so.

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully said my friend. Even though I only know him through your chats, my thoughts will be with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. N--This was just amazing. I'm at a rare loss for words, except for...thank you. So much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so special... And it appears you and I are live in the same town! I haven't been the committed runner that I normally am in the last month... but Brad and others commitment are encouraging me to get back out there. There is a special peace that comes in a run... and a special kind of hell at times. It's so cool to discover you through this blog and through Brad.

    ReplyDelete