Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Good For You Lady

Now that I'm back to some of my old routes, I have to tell you one of the very best things that happens on one of them. I call her the "Good For You Lady."

It all started last Fall. Elly and I were out running, and this lady slowed down, rolled down her window and yelled, "Good for youuuuuuuu!! GOOD FOR YOUUUUUUUU!" And, then she kept going. This happened the next time. And, the next. And, the next. There is hardly a day I don't see her. Actually, I tend to hear her first with her very enthusiastic, "Good for youuuuuu," which is also typically accompanied by a fist pump in the air. It's always accompanied by a very friendly smile. She rules.

So, there I was on a route I'd not been in months when I heard a car slow down. And, there was the old familiar, "Good for youuuu!" this time with an added, "Welcome back!" Seriously cool.

Then picture this! I was on the last stretch before ending when I came upon a woman walking gingerly across the street with a full cup of coffee in each hand. She was going from her house to the one across from hers clearly for a morning visit. How often do you see that?! She told me it was a great day for a run. I told her I was about to follow her instead. She said that she would just be sitting, though. I did not say that that was my point. I didn't think she really cared, and I didn't want her to start off her visit with her friend with a story about the weirdo runner outside who wouldn't stop talking to her.

So, I wrapped it up, got out my friend Water Bottle and enjoyed taking a breather in the bea-u-ti-ful morning! Whatever it is you set out to accomplish today, may I be among the first to say "Good For Youuuuuuuu!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment