Friday, February 5, 2016

Worth the Bother

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 78.6 (running: 77.9; walking: .7; biking: 0) Elly's miles: 47.1  Money Found For Food Bank: $33.35

I know I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: At any point in time prior to getting out of bed, I'm not particularly inspired by the thought of running nor happy about the reality that it's on the schedule. It's just true. I'm cozy and warm and hardly ready to put my feet on the floor much less lace up and run. This is true for all runs from a just-running adventure to a Half Marathon event -- yup, even the events I'm excited to do don't make me want to get out of bed much less before the sun comes up. While I'm still in my jammies, a run never sounds good. But, those moments curled up in bed have nothing to do with how things will feel later that morning, so those are not the moments to use to judge.

I think it's a point worth revisiting as we all tend to get caught up in the idea that if something sounds like it's going to suck, then why bother. However, as it turns out, most things are worth the bother especially when you get to the moment!

So, there I was, a half hour past getting out of bed, and I was ready to roll! Elly was, too, so I leashed her up, said good-bye to the cat ...
Fuzzy picture product compliments of a
hurried effort, what can I say.
Pit Crew #2 noted that she was looking up recipes for me. I thought it would be nicer if she'd make herself useful and do some of my work for me. No such luck on either task, by the way. Thanks for nothing, Lizzy.

So, on this Friday, Elly and I bounded our ways through our four miles. She got a little perky when we passed the house with the ba-zillion cats. For real, there are often at least 10 hanging out on a front porch early in the morning. After they've eaten, this one can often be found just sitting and staring at the side of the house:
Concrete is fascinating when there's not a lady and a dog
creating an audience for you. Then it's just an embarrassing
activity.
I was proud of the run today given the combination of how busy I was yesterday plus I've been adding some Rest Day exercise this past week. I'll expand on that after I have a few more weeks behind me, but I will report that I've already noticed a positive difference in my running by doing it and --> the best part <-- it's something I have every bit of confidence I'll stick to. Booyah.

It was chilly but sunny and a great way to start out our Friday together:
That's how Elly looks when a big truck rolls by right when I'm taking the picture. Scaredy pup.

So, tomorrow is the last run before training begins (for real this time!), and I'll be joined by Aaron! He's already inquired as to the morning temperature. I've assured him he'll be fine! Besides, he'll be with me; what more could he want?! Have a great start to your weekend, and I'll be checking in after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment