Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Run Down Memory Lane

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 138.8 (running: 134.9; walking: 3.9; biking: 0) Elly's miles: 76  Money Found For Food Bank: $40.97

Today's run was mostly rough. At the end, I came in with a solid time (meaning how it felt did not negatively translate into how it actually went down). I was thankful for the time only because it meant that, physically, things are going just fine. What felt so rough was the emotional part of it. As I wanted to, I used this run to try and decompress from the last couple of days and much of that time to myself just reflecting and praying.

I spent the majority of the run going down many offshoots of Memory Lane, and all of it made me smile even though it also felt very, very heavy. No matter how it begins or how it ends, I've never, ever taken a friendship lightly. People choosing to be around each other is a two-way privilege. I loved Memory Lane even when it hurt.

By the start of the seventh mile, I finally felt 'in place.' Perfect timing on an 8-mile run, amiright? But, that's nothing to complain about. I finished in the sunshine full of bittersweet feelings. The long run was good today.

And, then I came home to something else that made me smile in the immediate:
Nope, it's not a stand-off. They were nose to nose but for two different reasons. Lizzy was genuinely reaching toward Elly (not understanding that she set the tone when we first got her because she was so completely obnoxious to Elly. Oh, and Elly's a hound.). While Elly was reaching in toward Lizzy AND gave her a slurp before walking away, it wasn't really out of affection.

It was that Lizzy had just had a couple of treats, and she had crumbs on her mouth. Hence, the slurp.

It was, indeed, a really good start to the day. Thankful for every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment