Thursday, February 18, 2016

Thwarted For a Greater Good

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 109.2 (running: 106.8; walking: 2.4; biking: 0) Elly's miles: 64.5  Money Found For Food Bank: $38.92

Elly's having a difficult time deciding
what she wants to do, too ...
It's one of those moments where I have more thoughts scrambling around in my brain than I seem to be able to handle. And, every one of the things I feel like I need to do right now feels like it is the top priority, so every decision about what to do feels like I'm making the wrong one. So, what did I turn to but to go right here where I decompress and regroup a little bit almost every day ...

I had an errand to run this afternoon, so I designed it so I could get a decent walk in while doing so. I'd already had a long and tiring morning, but why not throw a walk in there, too?! I haven't had much of an opportunity to do so, so I capitalized on the moment and did that two-birds-one-stone thing.

Speaking of capitalizing on moments: Yesterday, before I got some (great) news (that required my attention the rest of the afternoon and thwarted my vision of actually pondering what to do ...!), I did jump on freer time in the morning and whipped up some Trim Healthy Mama goods. I had plans to do more in the afternoon; but, I'm not complaining!

Anyway, first, it was time to make some ice cream! Mmmm ... There was a functional reason for this, though, as the blogger I like to follow most recently suggested putting a tablespoon of vegetable glycerin into the recipe to (a) help keep it from freezing too hard to the sides of the maker, and (b) to up the creaminess while helping to keep it from being too icy when thawing out leftovers. We tried it recently, and while the ice cream still stuck to the sides of the maker as much as it ever did, I did think I could taste a difference in creaminess both in the original batch and in the leftover. But, I wasn't certain.
"I'll help you out by tasting it, mommy ..."
So, what's a girl to do but make a half batch with and a half batch without, then freeze and see how it turns out!
Two with; two without!
The couldn't have been more predictable thing was that I was on the phone when putting together Round 2. So, when I got off the phone and poured the mix into the machine, I had no idea whether or not I'd added the glycerin (which I wasn't supposed to). With no way to tell, you know what that meant:
Extras at the bottom of the freezer!
Quick: Name someone who wasn't
bothered by extra! Starts with an A ...
We've tried the 'with' batch, and I do think it made a positive difference. We'll try the 'without' and let you know!

When Aaron came home and got dinner ready, I had time to make another batch of THM chocolate sauce ...
Slam. Dunk. Fabulous.!!
Now, it's hard to go wrong with the ice cream recipes we've used, so those really aren't news except for our intrigue about the vegetable glycerin. And, then, there was this ...

Remember when I said the THM people had me at okra in terms of my desire to buy their new cookbook? When I got it and started reading, I not only saw props for okra, but they also brought to the forefront of my brain radishes.

Believe me, they would not have had me at radishes ...

So, why radishes? The bottom line is they are of the vegetables that fall positively in the lowest calorie to highest nutrient ratio. Okay, so you can't beat that. But, can you beat the taste out of them? Because I happen to think they suck. The answer is ...
YES. Yes, you can beat cook the taste right out of them! I bought a bag of radish chips (having failed at finding the suggested matchstick variety). I put them on a pan in about a half teaspoon of butter, sprinkled salt over the top and let them cook for about 20 minutes turning them every so often.

I will completely admit that I had to remind myself that it was okay to try the first bite because, as my fork was approaching my mouth, I could feel my tongue retract and my mouth start to clench shut. Then I reminded myself that I voluntarily embarked on this venture, and that I could just dump it if it sucks, and I tried them.

Bite 1: Fine. Not offensive, just kind of there.
Bite 2: Much better than fine. In fact, I think I need another bite.
Bite 3: Could not get enough of them and was sad when they were gone!

I'm often like that with the 3-bite thing. Often, there are things I seem to have to get over on that first one or two.

Anyway, yes, the bitter of the normally disgusting vegetable went to the wayside, and I was left with something that was as close to a little side of potato as I could hope for! Who knew?!?

So, those were my kitchen accomplishments yesterday. What bumped the rest of my plans was totally worth it, so I have no complaints! And, now that I'm really quite decompressed and somewhat focused, it's time to map tomorrow's long run and take care of some other business! I hope your slide into Friday is just what you want, and I'll be checking in after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment