Friday, February 26, 2016

Way Too Soon

I am completely off balance right now. In the past 24 hours, I've received terrible news about two friends. One of them has been battling a brain tumor, and he has made the decision to stop treatment. The other was killed in a car accident. They're the friends you're pretty certain you'd still hang out with had life not taken you down two entirely separate paths, so the time distance is irrelevant when it comes to healing your heart. It's a lot to take in especially when trying to reconcile how things like that happen.
And, it's when things like this happen that we often default to deciding all of the things we've been doing or stressing over don't matter. I don't tend to go that direction. I am more prone to still find value in daily tasks and activities, but I start to get really super aggravated about how I see relationships being treated. Between Aaron and myself, we have more family members than we care to count who treat others as disposable. In just the past couple of years, I've watched a number of mid-life crisis husbands walk away from devoted wives and beautiful families. I listen among the many teenagers I'm around to how terribly they can treat each other for absolutely no reason other than they're either jockeying for position, or they're simply allowed.

I met these two men when we were all in high school. They weren't like what I just mentioned. They liked everyone who let them. They were quirky and kind and just good. It was a blessing to have them in my life's path. They made a difference.

When I run, it never, ever escapes me how fortunate I am to be able to do so. Because I'm able. Because I have time. Because I am here. On tomorrow's long run, I will be thinking about them, so thankful for their friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment