Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Last Thing I Wanted Was the Best Thing I Did

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 54 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 214.3 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 114.7 Money Found For Food Bank: $21.15

The 33-degree start to this morning's run did not speak Spring and April to me. But, this sure did:
I confess that, when thinking about it last night (and, overnight to be honest), a 5-mile run was the last thing I wanted to do with my morning. The weird thing was that all I kept thinking was, "Man, that's really  far ..." I'm not even kidding. I made it out in my mind as so far that it felt impossible to do. Or, at least, it was the last thing I wanted to do.

But, like almost every other run I've ever taken on, the idea of it and the reality of it were entirely different. After those first few steps, the mileage didn't matter. And, today was one of, what, two? this entire training schedule that felt really good the whole way! I felt strong (important) and reasonably energized (that's more of a bonus than a requirement) for the duration. I'll take it!

While things were humming along for me, I had a very contrary running partner today. She was fine for the distance, but she definitely had her own mind as to where she wanted to go. Fortunately, she has a good mommy willing to be the buzz kill and not let her run out into traffic or wander through broken glass. Oh, the ways she tried to veer ...

She'd already been mighty obnoxious by the time we were about to close in on two miles, so I didn't think much of it when she suddenly perked up and picked up her pace. I followed her attention to see a flash of movement (I figured squirrel) only to see yet another one. And, now you can see it, too:
Here's another look:
In case you missed it:
The two cats bolted across our paths and threw themselves into the hole in this shed!! Immediately, this one poked out to investigate. It was so cool; it was like a whole other world existed in that shed (and probably does)! I was so enthralled looking at this kitty that I almost missed the one watching us:
"I will eat you if I have to."
From the kitties to the signs of Spring to the 68 cents I found (including 2 quarters, baby!!), the entire route was filled with good! And, at the end, Elly decided to follow completely through with her contrarian ways ...
"I'm not contrary here, mommy. I'm ...
poetic.
Elly and I will agree to disagree on the photo assessment, but we can both agree that this was a great way to start the day together! For the many times she annoys me on a run, I still have her to thank for getting me this far in the first place. Maybe I'll find a little something for her at next week's Expo. And, by "for her" I mean "for me but only because I'm thinking about her," but she doesn't need to know that!

It's a short run tomorrow!! Find some fun signs of Spring on this first day of April, and I'll check in after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment