Friday, April 4, 2014

How Deep Can You Dig?

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 56 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 227.7 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 114.7 Money Found For Food Bank: $23.02

I woke up at 2 a.m. to the sounds of howling wind. My immediate thought was, "Crap, I do not want to run in that." Then, my sensibilities -- or, so I thought -- took over, and I thought, "I'm not running for hours. Surely this will calm down."

Wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!! Everything was still whipping around when I planned to head out, and I am not kidding when I earnestly considered the treadmill instead of going outside! That's how strong they were! And, if you know me at all, you know I really, really  hate wind. It bothers me, and it makes me tired, so this was not a good 10-mile situation for me!!

I saw on the news before heading out that the temperature was in the high 30s (c'mon, Spring, where are ya?!) with winds gusting at 35 mph. While I was dressed for the weather, I did pause one more time to ponder the 'mill. I realized, though, that bailing on crappy weather isn't good when I have no idea what weather is coming for the Half. With a sigh and a little choke-back of the tears (oh, yes ... just being real), off I went!

And, holy moly, it was cold!! My first mile went straight into the wind, and it hammered at and inside my ears. I'll say it: It sucked!! I had to lean in to keep moving forward. And, later, when the wind came at me from the side, it would literally blow the foot off the ground into the one that was planted as I ran. No joke. The first time it happened, I almost tripped myself. That would have been a story!

I'm not going to paint any part of this run as rosy. Because it wasn't. But, it was most profitable:
The other day, we had penny-size hail. Evidently, there was
also a quarter storm going on! Largest change find ever: $1.87!
Oh, hey, remember this picture from last Sunday?
This is what that spot looks like today after the downpours:
In line with yesterday's reminder to dig deep when necessary, I did, indeed, remind myself of that very notion along the way today. Most helpful was when I told myself that everything I was feeling was in my head, and that could be trumped by what was even deeper. I don't know if it was my unbelievable wisdom (hee hee) that pushed unproductive thoughts out of my head or if it was a sudden gust of wind blowing through my ears and rattling my brain. Either way, it worked.

Point of interest: Remember I noted that wind makes me tired? Right at the 8-mile mark, I felt myself almost nodding off purely from the non-stop wind pummel. Not. Kidding.

I'm glad to have this one behind me ...
Yay!! Finished!! Somehow!!
... so the only thing in the immediate front of me is the big day!! There are the rest of the taper runs this week, but whatever, I'm talking about the main event! My fingers are crossed for even slightly better weather for those 13 miles because today was quite an unwelcomed surprise!
"Unwelcomed surprise? Okay, let's talk about that. Let's talk
about how even though you left me behind this morning, you
got my hopes up by putting on my leash and letting me get in
the car once you were home and showered! The leash always
means good things, so I was so very excited!! ..."
"And, then there was the moment of truth. You can even see
the disappointment in my sad little eyes when you pulled up
to the vet's office!! Talk about unwelcomed surprise!!"
"Fortunately, once we were back in the
car, I forgot what happened. So, you are
forgiven, but I don't know for what.
Besties For-ev-ahhhhh! Slurrrrp!!! "
With that, it's off to experience the rest of FRIDAY!!! It was a rough start, but I can't deny it was a good one whether it felt like it at the time or not. This was a run to be proud of for a whole host of non-running reasons!!

Look deeper than the surface, and give yourself some credit for something you're probably overlooking!! That would be a great way to start off your weekend, don't you think? In the meantime, enjoy the slide into your weekend, and I'll see you on tomorrow's Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment