Saturday, November 2, 2013

Many Feet For Many Feet!

Today's numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 166 Nancy's 2013 Mileage 786.1 Elly's 2013 Mileage 369.4 Money Found For Food Bank: $19.49 in change, $25 in bills

2012 Found-Money Food Bank Donation: $7.83

Hey, did you know there are 69,217.5 feet in a Half Marathon? This very morning, we used 12 feet to cover that distance, it was awesome!! Come along!!

Here's the thing: Maybe it's the getting-busier time of year. Maybe it's because it's hot then it's cold then it's warm then it's frosty. Maybe it's because there happens to be an influx of life stuff going on. Whatever the reason, I was looking forward to this morning's Virtual Marathon Relay, but it wasn't until I talked to virtual running partner extraordinaire Mary Kate on the phone when I headed out that I actually lit up about it.
Sleepy but so happy to hear my friend!!
Mary Kate had already been out there for almost two hours before I started, but she answered her phone all kinds of cheery and enthusiastic!! Her leg of the run was almost over and I was totally jealous about it, and she felt awesome!! YAHOO!! I was so excited to hear her voice, and it brought around the very reason I love to do this kind of thing: Doing it together !!

As I was talking very loud in the wee, still-dark hours of the morning in my neighborhood, I thought it best to let Mary Kate continue running and to shut my talker so Elly and I could get down to business! I had no plans to take Elly with me at all until a few days ago when I realized it was still mighty dark at the time I chose to start. Who better to have with me than my trainer and protector??
"I'm all about my dual role today, mommy! Let's do this!!"
This was my first experience running in this much dark (aside from our Christmas Eve run a couple of years ago). It was both peaceful and weird. The really good thing was that it was so early, there were no cars out allowing me to run in the middle of the road where there are no fallen acorns and walnuts. Can you imagine how cranked I would be to tumble on this run in the dark ? Elly wouldn't be able to wag enough to happy me up!

I avoided the foot dangers like a pro allowing me to take in the sites. Oh yes, even in the dark, there were things to see. Fun things!
 
When you catch this out of the corner of your eye before you
see the display, it is actually quite startling! Dark, people,
remember it was dark!
Right after seeing this ghost, Elly's ears perked up, and she stopped dead in her tracks. Might I mention, that's an alarming moment for her owner. Just sayin'. She saw what I didn't see which was a lady walking her dog. I saw another couple walking around the 2-mile mark and another runner at 2.5. 'Seems we weren't the only silly ones out there!

Just as I was approaching the 3-mile mark, Mary Kate called!! She had perfect timing as I'd just finished a "Please don't call me on this hill ... please don't call me on this hill ..." mantra!! Evidently, we were in pretty perfect sync as her call came right when I hit the top of the hill!! Have I mentioned she's virtual running partner extraordinaire ?!

After the virtual relay tag, I dropped the 5K pro at home where it was such a fun surprise to see this on the door step!
Nice course touch, Aaron!
"Course touch, smourse touch, let me in! It's nap time!!"
From there, I was on my own for the next 10 (.1!) miles. I was also still in the dark for the next mile, so it was nice when day broke so I could see such things as this ...
... and, this ...
Um, below, I was intending to highlight both my enthusiasm for the Fall leaves and the leaves themselves. All I can say is, Whoopsie.
This was fun, too ...
This fella kind of matched my attitude toward the very, cloudy morning that I didn't know we were supposed to have. Hey, did you know very cloudy mornings do no allow the 43-degree temperature to raise very much? I'm. Just. Sayin'. Anyway ...

Just around the corner from the green guy, today's Crew caught up with me to award the Spooky Cupcake medal! WAHOO!! Mid-way BLING!!
I love the updated mile marker! The
medal is super-fabulous, too! (Entry fee
for this one to benefit Team In Training,
by the way.)
The Crew that's soon to cruise!!
Aaron brought me a banana, too, since I had no breakfast before heading out. It's the perfect fuel, but it had a yucky spot that I saw as I was taking a bite. You know, in that too-late moment ...
Ewwwww ...
From there, my leg continued on what I like to think of as the Running For Money stretch. I purposely routed the next three or so miles through as many target-rich spots as possible. It paid off in some spots but not in others. But, seeing as the first find was a dime, I was not disappointed!

I'm not sure if this stretch of miles flew by because I had something else to do while running (cha-ching!) or because I knew the last stretch was fast approaching or because I was cold enough that some of my brain cells died, but, before I knew it, I was at that moment where Half Marathon race spectators start to yell, "Only a 5K from here!!" Author's note: The first time I heard someone yell that, I was all, "Um, quiet please, I am currently too mentally unbalanced to hear I still have three more miles!" Today, it just made some sense, and I was cruising right along! Never in the past did I think I'd be approaching a 12-mile mark and casually think, "This has been alright!"

I got the ego check right at Mile 12, by the way. I just felt every part of my body scream ask me, "Could we stop now? Please? We're cold. And, tired!" I didn't help matters by stopping a number of times during that half mile to pick up money, but what'cha gonna do, it needs to be picked up, amIright ?! (I am.) Besides, I routed my end-point as the celebratory cupcake shop, and that shop was not at Mile 12.5!!

Soon enough, my body caught the clue that I wasn't yet stopping. Instead, I picked up the pace not just because I was almost finished but also because I kept running by random dudes just kind of hanging around the streets. I could do without that, so it was important to me to show them I wasn't in some weakened state! Very soon, I saw two other people hanging out but with a purpose ... those two were today's Crew and soon-to-be participants!
Hugs! Kisses! Pictures!
After a quick, celebratory pic for me, the duo was on their way!
I had Elly to accompany me; Pit Crew #2 had her Dad!
Interestingly, both who accompanied needed to make
potty stops. Oh ... TMI?
While the dynamic duo did their route, I hung out at the cupcake shop with my post-run fabulousness:
That's that same banana. But, with no gross spots. I didn't care
half as much about the banana, though, as I did that I was
somewhere where there was heat -- the post-run chills were
on their way!
I know, that's not as fabulous as what was over my shoulder ...
Mmmm ...
... but, that was to come! First, I had to cheer my girl!!
There's the 5K anchor leg!! Yahooooooo!!!
Long post, long run. That's how it goes!! Tomorrow: The celebration run-down! Until then, a huge shout out to my running partners, PC#2 and Mary Kate!! My first Marathon Relay was awesome, thanks to you!! And, of course, a big thank you to the other 6 feet that made this run safe ... many thanks to Aaron and Elly!! WAHOO!!
 
Oh! I should mention this morning's found-money tally: 44 cents!! (Hey, I'm 44! Just mentioning.)
 
You've heard it before, and not just from me: It's not always easy, but it is always worth it!! And, it's always worth having yet another way to have an adventure and bond with my girl!
Thank you for coming along with us, and we'll see you tomorrow with the post-run jubilation!

2 comments:

  1. This post made me cry...for several reasons - I am so happy that I was able to do this with you, I am so touched that you included me, i am overwhelmed with the blessings of your friendship, running, and my life! Thank you NANCY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Kate -- You underestimate your influence on ME. I LOVE doing these runs with you ... we've only just begun!!!

      Delete