Monday, October 8, 2012

Fall Down Go Boom!

It finally happened.

There we were, jogging along in our second mile, and I was having a very familiar, recurring thought: "I'm really glad I've not ever fallen while running." I have come close a couple of times when I kick a protruding piece of sidewalk I never saw coming. I have slipped on ice, but I don't count that. And, I did fall once in the Spring, but that was because I stepped off a curb wrong while stopping my run. So, technically, that doesn't count, either. No, I'm talking about out-of-nowhere-down-and-splat falling.

I often think about how fortunate I've been in that regard, and I've wondered how long that luck will hold. I think about it for a minute, and then the idea totally leaves my mind.

Well, there's no more need to wonder! We had just passed our third mile, and I saw an advertisement yard sign. I was trying to come up with the jingle to the company in my head when I realized my right foot, which was supposed to keep moving forward, very suddenly stopped because it hit something on the sidewalk. Unfortunately, when your foot stops, your upper body keeps going, and, in this case, it was going down fast!

No hurt, just dirt. Good
thing I aleady planned on
some laundry today! See
how it all worked out?!
Remarkably, I had my wits about me quick enough to launch myself sideways so as to land on my left hip in grass instead of straight forward on my knees and hands on the concrete. I'm sure it will come as no suprise that my immediate motivation to shift was so as to not tear -- therefore, have to purchase another pair of -- my pants. (Can you imagine how hacked off I would be if I not only hurt myself but also had to buy another pair of pants? I mean c'mon!)

So, into the yard I went, and while I would not have cared had a bunch of cars been going by, I was glad they weren't so no one would feel the need to stop to see if I was okay (seeing as I was). Elly, who suddenly could not go forward herself given the leash situation, immediately bounded back to me. I've never seen that look on her face ... a mix of surprise, confusion and just wanting to lick me to make me all better. It had to be shocking for her to turn around and have to look down to see me, I'm just sayin'.
"I'm going to sit right here on guard 'til
you decide it's go time, Mommy. I'm a
bit confused, but I'm here for you!"
With my first fall out of my way, we kept on going. I forgot about trying to figure out that jingle anymore, and I realized how unjust it seemed to be that I fell while I not only hadn't found any money on this run, but I wasn't even looking for it when I went down. None of that adds up in my logic.

The finding-stuff-while-running gods were shining on me from that point onward, though. Check it out:
Can't beat that stash with a stick! That last mile was sweet!
We rounded at that fourth mile in good form and on all six feet, then I went to cash in my free Diet Coke punch card. But, not before sharing the running partner love:
That's a face of bravery if I ever saw. Look
how Elly protects and serves!!

"More kisses to make sure you're all good, Mommy."
I made it home in one piece to continue on with what started out as a really funky Monday! Elly was exhausted from the experience. See?
I think tomorrow's Rest Day is well timed! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment