Friday, October 5, 2012

One Day This, One Day That

Today we'll start with HAPPY FRIDAY!!! It's not only Friday, it's Rest Day, and Elly is working hard at that mission!
Rest Mission: Accomplished
For the past couple of days, I've been so tired that running has been the last thing on my mind regardless of it being one of the first things I do in the morning. Today, I'm again energized. Go figure. How does that happen? One day you're exhausted, the next, you're feeling great, and it's not like you necessarily did anything different to your day. It's yet another of life's dichotomies that is difficult to explain much like this one taken from the I Love To Run Facebook page:
HA! So true for us all, isn't it?

I capitalized on today's good mood and energy and did some serious recipe searching. This was prompted both by the wonderfully cool weather we're getting (therefore, inspiring cooking -- I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't like to cook when it's hot out!) and by my new issue of Runner's World magazine that provided readers with a list of healthy foods for runners, and, it turns out I only seem to really like half of the list:
Liz Applegate's "Fridge Wisdom",
November 2012
Thumbs up to the: apples; pomegranates; sweet potatoes when baked to the point they don't taste like sweet potatoes, and walnuts. I can't stand brussels spouts, pumpkin seeds are iffy, and I've never had fennel, persimmons or swiss chard. Opening my mind to try a few of those wouldn't hurt.

Speaking of an open mind, keep yours there for some good stuff coming your way! I believe I've come across some great fuel no matter your activity, so the only real question that remains will have to do with the yum factor. Stay tuned for recipes and reports. I'll also report on that tasty little dish at the bottom of that article -- the Fall Fruit Compote!
In the meantime, I'll leave you with the happy surprise I stumbled upon today:
It's one of those exploding zinneas that have been blooming in
our garden all summer despite the heat. This is the first red one
of the season ... better late than never!! It's so cool!
There's one more Rest Day, then Sunday is the 12-mile training run. Ser-i-ous-ly, how did that run come up so fast?! I guess I missed the build-up amidst the aforementioned daytime exhaustion! The 12-miler is the one I love to hate (not quite there and no real fanfare but what a butt-kicking feeling when it's finished!!), so I'm going to enjoy the evening and tomorrow's down time for all they're worth to gear up for that one! Have yourself a great Friday evening, and I'll see you on Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment