Monday, October 15, 2012

Just Turn It Around

Hey! Here we are on Monday!! And, you know what starts off my week ... a run! Here we go!!

You'd think after yesterday's felt-like-a-disaster run that I would have no interest in heading out today. Fortunately over the years, I've learned a few things about this activity, and, foremost, I've learned to let a less-than-satisfying run go and just get back out there. There is no -- and I do mean no -- use in belaboring a "bad" run. I think there is incredible worth in trying to understand why it happened, but it's also extremely important to understand that there are so many variables that add up into your running formula (life, anyone?) that one run doesn't define your efforts or achievements.

You are a total package not an isolated incident.

The same as rocking my 12-miler doesn't mean I'm heading to a podium any time soon, yesterday's 10-miler doesn't mean I don't belong in the field of participants at this coming weekend's events. A bad one happens now and then, and I've been done worrying about those for a long time! They annoy me for sure, but I don't take them personally anymore. Hang in there when you stumble, because it will all come back around, and your work will again feel like it's paying off!

That's the spirit that defined heading back out there today! I made it a point to remind myself that what mattered today was the run in front of me. I told myself to just turn my mindset around, and all would be just fine!

I also reminded myself that there were still awesome sights to see right now, so even if I wasn't feeling the run, I had a lot to look forward to! See?
I've passed this foliage so many times and never noticed it. Now
that it's changing colors, it grabbed my attention. I love that the
leaves are so rounded! Fun!
And, right next to my little, round friends was this ... all pointy
and jagged. Well done on the contrast there, Mother Nature.
And, remember this tree from just last week? ...
... This is what it looks like today! I'm glad I saw it in its glory
when I did! This running thing is pretty cool for things like that!
Remarkably after yesterday, this run felt really good! My upper thighs were a bit tight for the first two miles, but that's because I was an idiot yesterday and didn't take enough time to stretch. (Hmmm ... perhaps a contributor to my leaded-pants feeling? Seriously ... I really need to get on board with consistent, focused stretching. Fortunately, there's so much time at the Half where you just stand in your corral waiting to start that there is plenty of time to stretch and keep stretching. I appreciate that built-in time even though anyone with a brain made time before they got into the corral. OR is it that I'm the wise one to utilize such stand-around time in such a very productive way? Yeah, don't answer that.)

Two things were particularly noteworthy for my run today. Of course (you know me), neither have much of anything to do with running itself. Just the way I like it. First, of course, there was the Fall scenery. Second is that I almost wish I counted the number of times Elly stopped to use the bathroom because it seemed unreal. My conservative estimate is she stopped 6 times. Six times in four miles! No wonder I have a sense of lightening speed when I don't take her with me! Fortunately, she's pretty quick. But, still! She can be at home for hours and hours and move only to relocate from the couch to another room. Running drives the waste out of her. I guess she really is that excited! And, I sometimes get a payoff for all of her stops because you know how much I love water droplets on her nose:
While she was taking one of her many breaks, I noticed there was a low branch over the sidewalk. We'd already passed under it, and I didn't notice it at the time. It made me wonder if Aaron were with me if he'd get thwacked in the head:
Oh, the things I wonder while out and
about ...
I can easily reach it, but I still think he'd
be safe. *whew!* I'd hate for his noggin
to be whacked by a branch. "What happened
to your head?" "Running injury." "No,
really, what happened to your head?"
With about a mile and a half to go, I was spoiled by actually looking ahead instead of down on the ground!
 
We were nearing the finish, and all systems were firing well. The temperature was great, my muscles seemed to forgive my lack of stretching, and this taper week started off strong. I can't ask for much more than that. I gave this run a quick reflection while waiting for the light. Elly was on the lookout to make sure it was safe to cross:
Okay, she wasn't really looking out for anything because she
was waiting for me to tell her what to do. But, how cute is she
patiently waiting at the crosswalk? So cute!
We wrapped up our run, and my dog decided being contrary was the morning duty:
"I've already cleaned out my insides, so I
have to do something else to poke at you,
mommy."
Let's try this again:
"Oh, okay. I'm saying cheese with my
mouth closed. I'm skilled like that."
Contrary or not, she's impossible not to love:
"That's more like it,mommy, show me the
love."
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have just 6 training miles left before the Half!! I'm not sure how we already got to this point, but, ready or not (I'm totally ready!), it's almost here! Before, though, it's a Rest Day tomorrow, so I'll see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment