Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Treats and Tricks

So, there I was at the grocery store this morning doing our regular shopping when I saw red grapes were again on sale. Wahoo!!! Right? Not. So. Much. I soooo wish I had my camera with me at that point because it would be so much more poignaint to see the stock of grapes that looked diseased rather than to just tell you, "Hey, all of the grapes at the store looked diseased."

That was a big bummer especially with a long run on schedule for this weekend. (A very long run ... we're already to the 12-miler! *gulp!*) Grapes have always been my fuel on a long run to replenish some calories along the way so I'm not completely depleted by the end of the run. No one wants total depletion. It's not pretty.

Between now and the weekend, I will keep my eye out for good grapes that I don't have to take out a loan to buy. In the meantime, PC#3 might want to keep an eye on his stash of Jelly Bellies ...

I didn't even take one while taking the picture. Not one. Almost.
But, I didn't. Today.
Lots of people I know keep a stash of Gummi Bears with them, while running. Not only am I certain they'd stick to my teeth and annoy me, but I've tried to resist candy vs. something healthier for running fuel. Just seems contradictory to run and eat candy, don'tcha think?! But, the need to not be depleted will prevail if I can't find any diseased grapes, and I'll take along a few Jelly Bellies. And, in case you are wondering, a singular Jelly Belly contains 4 calories, and an average red or green grape has 3-3.5. (Who doesn't need to know that comparison?)

Between now and the Half, it seems I have another decision to make. Check out the very special offer I received in my email with the subject line "Potty Like a Rock Star!":

Brooks VIP Porta Potty for a Super-Deluxe Start
Take your pre-race potty break in luxury with the Brooks VIP Porta Potty. As a thank you for choosing Brooks and Moving Comfort gear, Brooks is setting up tricked out toilets on race day at the starting line of the TASK™ Rock 'n' Roll St. Louis™ Marathon & 1/2 Marathon Presented by the Quinn Family Charitable Fund.
Enjoy a spacious, climate-controlled restroom with running water, flushing toilets, and some Run Happy® surprises ...
 
You'll receive a special sticker for your race bib that gives you access to the Brooks VIP Porta Potty staffed by Brooks employees and volunteers from participating St. Louis-area retailers.
Please note: Passes are available while supplies last. To maximize your enjoyment, the total number admitted is capped. The Brooks VIP Porta Potty will be available on race day from 5:00 to 7:00 a.m., and we strongly recommend arriving early.

Yes, that did say "tricked out toilets."

And, no, this isn't a joke. You purchase $100 - 150 in products from particular vendors to receive your pass (Note: only good from 5-7 a.m. ... I'm not getting up that early to ensure my place in line to pee. Just sayin'.)

Can anyone see me spending that much money to make sure I get the luxury toilet? I'm thrilled to find a beat-up penny on the road, so I'm pretty sure you can guess I'm not forking over any cash for a crapper.

Now, I also ask you: Who doesn't want a very special sticker on your race bib letting everyone know the very special place you hung out right before running? "Hey, I see you indulged in the super-delux model. I was stuck in the hole in the box. What a very bad run I'm about to have ..." Although, I will say, that might be funny to see later. "Ah, yes, I remember that day. Not the run. The potty."

I left it in my email box because it just makes me giggle.

I leave you with that, and I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment