Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My Run. My Way. I Win!

With a little more sleep in my system, it's time to recap the big event! I always enjoy reflecting on such a run. In part, I spend time thinking back because I'm still amazed I did it. (I guess I'm trying to imprint on my brain that, yes, that really did just happen! It's soooo not four-years-ago me!) As well, if there is even just a little something of the experience I can use to motivate me forward, well, then that's time well spent!

New for me this Half is I noticed I relied heavily on coaching myself through the run. Not struggling and having to remind myself that I was able to do it, but I was actually proactively coaching myself. That was awesome, and I will share those words in my story. You're about to see why when this picture ...
... was posted on the Run The Edge Facebook page yesterday (post Half), I felt like they'd infiltrated my brain from Sunday and put a picture to my thoughts! I'm about to explain ... Here we go!

It all started at 5:45 a.m. on October 21. Actually, for me, it started all night long -- I was paranoid the alarm wouldn't go off, so, to say I had a restless sleep is an understatement! Lack of sleep the night before a Half seems to be the way these things go, so I have come to expect it and, better yet, not fear it.
Oh-my-gosh, I do not look ready to go
at all!! (Nor does PC#3! WOW!)
It's a pretty tired crew, but, ready or not, that starting gun was going to go off! So, we got a move on!

While walking to the start line, we passed the first mile marker. I thought it would be awesome if I could count that one as "done."
Found it! It's like a game, right? The
Where's Waldo of the running variety?
Aaron reminded me these runs don't work that way. Buzz kill.

And, even though I took care of business before heading to the line -- you guessed it -- I figured I'd utilize one of the billion porta potties at the start line. You know, better safe than sorry. And, clearly, I was not the only one with that idea!
Every little white spot you see is that of someone's shoe or
jacket reflective material ... all in line for the potty! Yup ... all
the way back there ...
Okay, that line took for-ev-er, but it was worth it. Unfortunately, it also took all of the buffer time we built in for when we arrived at the starting line, so, when I was finally out of the line, it was time for the Crew and I to go our separate ways because it was almost time to start! My corral was waayyy back down the street, so I had to get a groove on!

Never fear, though, because groove I did weaving in and out of the sidewalk crowd to my spot right before the wave start! (Whew!) This is the scene I had:
Lots-o-people!! Race officials said more
than 15,000 registered ... you see most of
the backs of their heads here ...
... and, now you see some of their feet!
And, this is the scene the Crew had from the spot they chose to cheer!
How is that not a fire hazard? Is it because it's outside and the
street isn't likely to burst into flames? Just wondering.
Given the wave start, it took 30 minutes for my corral to get to the start. You'd think that would be annoying, but, somehow, it isn't. And, I was glad to have that time to just soak in where I was and what I was about to do. And, it was cool. (It was also cold to people around me; they seemed to not bask in the 40s temp like I was.)

After corral 16 was released, one of the MC's of the run said the following: "Ah, corral 17. Now, this is the fun group. They're not too worried about time. They want to have fun. And, they have stories to tell." He was right (at least as it applies to me), and it made me smile big. It was actually nice to be noticed in that way -- that there are so many reasons for running and so many stories to tell. The stories are as numerous as their are participants, and this is the first time I've heard it said at such an event. What a way to start the run!

Speaking of starting, away we go!
I got high fives from the younger Crewers (that's PC#3's orange
arm outstretched there and PC#2's bright green shirt!) ...
... and, I threw some love from the field with my blinged-up
fingernails!
Immediately upon starting the run, I said to myself: Your run. Your way. I did this to remind myself to keep on my pace. It's so easy to get swept up in the energy and excitement that you want to hurl yourself out of the starting gate. Of course, that can only make you want to hurl in the literal sense half way through the run, so it's just not a good idea. Your run. Your way. Not a half mile in, and that unplanned mantra would set the tone for the rest of the course. Outstanding!
 
Given it was the Rock'n'Roll marathon series, my hopes were high for the entertainment aspect, and I was not disappointed! We run under -- yes, under -- a band around the half mile point ...


See 'em up there? They were really good, too!
... and, there were bands or DJs at almost every mile marker. How cool is that?! (VERY!)
 
Even cooler for me was the scene I saw just after the first mile!
There's my Crew!
Here's how they saw me:
This is awesome! Wheeeee!
And, here's how that stretch looked:
Bless those volunteers not only for handing us water but also
for all of the clean-up they have to do!!
I really did love running through the streets bordered by the tall, city buildings. It was kind of a like a labyrinth especially when I had no idea where I was or where I was going. I kind of like keeping the route a surprise to keep myself from over-analyzing a particular spot or setting myself up to think a part is going to be easy when it, in fact, kicks my butt. (Can you tell I've done that before? I call that my first Half's rookie mistake!) Map, schmap, I'll follow the people!
 
One part I did know was coming was a stretch from Mile 1.5-3. It's this one:
I ran that stretch in the Spring, but, this time, it was a half mile shorter and -- key to overcoming any preconceived fear -- it was at the beginning of this run versus being past Mile 6 in the Spring. When necessary up this stretch, I reminded myself: "You've done this before. And, it's shorter this time. Yay!" That self-talk worked great, and that stretch was over before I knew it. Booyah!!
 
Okay, so things are cruising along great! I periodically repeated my newfound mantra: Your Run. Your Way. And, I was able to thoroughly enjoy every aspect of this route. I even enjoyed when this lady ...
... flung her drink station cup to the side (like she's supposed to) and hit me right below my chin (like she's really not supposed to). A mighty fine welcome to Mile 4.5, don't you think?! I cracked up so hard which I can only hope eased her very clear feeling-like-an-idiot moment! I know she initially feared the wrath of the mighty runner, but I could hardly stop laughing. It was so not a big deal, and, like I told her, I now have a story most people don't! I win!
 
By this point in the run, I'd also caught on to the rhythm of the course. For every up, there seemed a reprieve in the down or flat variety, so I started to count on that to keep myself mentally focused and not get intimidated by the unexpected incline. The result: I was able to control my run and not let it control me. That, friends, is a victory in and of itself!
 
I am glad I was feeling mentally strong at that point because it was on this incline up to Mile 5 that the gasping around me started. And, with good reason:
We were about to head straight into the sun, and the up part of this stretch seemed rather long (I, for one, thought we left that kind of length back at Mile 3 ... perhaps I should have looked at the map ...). I was doing great physically, but I didn't want to psych myself out. So, I dug into my memory bank and consciously likened this hill to one on which I often train. I hate that hill, but I use it intentionally so I can draw from it when I'm in the middle of an official course. Like here. Which would otherwise have sucked.
 
Not only did I use my mental pictures, but it was here I also modified my mantra:
 
Your run. Your way. You're fine!
 
The next couple of miles were chock full of goodness! From dancers (seriously! Check 'em out!) ...
... to lots of music ("Gangnam Style" from a DJ anyone? It was excellent!) to listening to people around me chatting ... mostly about their running experiences. Before I knew it, I crossed Mile 7. Only a 10K to go. Even better, in a 5K's-worth of distance, I get to call Aaron and tell him I'm at 10 (our touch-base point so he can be sure to stake out a spot at the finish no matter where he's at when I call). So, two 5K's left, and I'm feeling strong. That ruled! See?
Feeling totally fabulous! I don't often feel
inspired at this point, so I had to document!
I normally space out quite a bit somewhere in the Miles 8-10 zone, but I worked not to on this day. All systems were firing well, and I wanted to soak in every minute of this run that I have wanted to do since first seeing its existence in my first Runner's World magazine in 2010. And, just think, had I zoned out, I might have missed this:
Rarely do I slow down to take a picture while running, but I did
for this one to make sure I got it. Ironic, don't you think?
Just sayin'.
I also wanted to thoroughly enjoy this:
Holy moly, this stretch was bea-u-ti-mous!!!!
Same stretch with more people visible ahead.
They're going to beat me. I so don't care!
Even though I missed the Mile 9 marker (who cares when you're looking at that scenery?!), I most definitely saw the one at Mile 10, and I was stoked to call Aaron with the heads up. I blurted out my location as well as my ETA in minutes and hung up quickly -- not because I was out of breath (which is a first for that call!), but because I could feel I was cruising along, and I didn't really want that confirmed. I wanted to control my outcome based on how I felt and without any sort of self-imposed time pressure. However I finished, I was finishing having left everything I had on that course. And, it felt awesome!
 
My run. My way. I'm feelin' fiiiiiiiiinnnnneeee!!
 
Speaking of feelin' fine, check this guy out arching somewhere over Mile 11:
Hey, there's that lady again ... no drink station visible. I'm safe.
It's a neat feeling in a well-run event where the finish line celebration is so big you can hear the music, the MCs and the cheering almost as soon as you enter Mile 12. In my past three Half runs, those sounds have jabbed me in the heart with that so-close-but-oh-so-far-away feeling. On this day, I was inspired. One more mile to go. I even told myself I could keep it going strong for just one more mile instead of relaxing that close to the end. Truly, by my own philosophy, you run a route the way you want, and, if that means chillin' in that last mile, then chill, baby, chill. The line will be there. On this day, I wanted to finish as strong as I started because I felt able to do so.
 
And, I did!
I TOTALLY WIN!
I didn't even know my time outcome at this point. It didn't really matter because I knew what I gave. And, I was happy!!
 
I was also happy for the mylar wrap (always take and use the mylar wrap; those sudden cool breezes will get'cha!) and for the Crew who poured on the love:
Check out the couple on the left ... doesn't the guy look like he
is saying, "Okay, explain this again ... you just did what for
what reason?"
I do so love my biggest fan!
Another Half journey begins early 2013! But, there is a lot of fun to be had between now and then! Notably, showing you fun stuff from the Expo!!! That's tomorrow's plan, so I'll see you then! Thanks for re-running the course with me!

5 comments:

  1. Another amazing journey. Proud of you, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Fishface! Sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation Nancy! I really like your laid back but determined attitude. What a fun race.

    ReplyDelete