Saturday, June 16, 2012

Third Time's a Charm

The first thought I had this morning (after a hearty, "Ugh!!") was the following: Why does the morning run sound so awesome the day before I do it? Just a question.

After an extra 5-minute delay in dragging myself out of bed, I finally got out there and hit it. I had to keep reminding myself that it's never as bad as it seems it's going to be. In fact, it's usually quite awesome! I just have to get myself there! I feel that way about many things ... not wanting to do them until I'm actually doing them. Recognizing this in myself often helps me take those first, few steps!

(This theory, by the way, does not hold true when going to the hardware store. That's always just as bad when I'm there as I thought it would be ...)

As I mentioned yesterday, I didn't pre-map my run, but I did have an idea of where I wanted to go. I just wanted to go out and enjoy then find out later how far I went. My guess was that this was about a 5-mile run, but that remained to be seen.

Regardless of the final distance, it all happens one mile at a time. Within the first mile, I was hot, hot, hot. The sun blazes on that particular stretch, and there is little reprieve. So, you just know this sight made me a happy, happy gal!
Oh, built-in sprinklers ... you are a sight
to behold especially when you're right next
to a public sidewalk!
I totally stuck my arm in this one:
Felt sooooo goooooood ...
And, I had to show you this because it made me laugh:
One side has a sprinkler system. The other does not.
Crack that code!
How'd that stretch of a bit o' water make me feel? Like this!
Happy, smelly, sweaty Nancy
So, there I was going along on the stretch that holds promise for some kind of monetary discovery (which is way better than the dead mole I'd just passed and the bag of poo I later stumbled upon ... and, thankfully, not in. And, really, that's all that story warrants.). I was thinking about how in the past two days, I've found 78 cents (not while running). Given that fortune, I certainly couldn't expect to have much good luck this morning, could I? But, I could hope! Check it out -- hope was rewarded!
All tattered. What on earth happens to these rogue coins?!
Soon after this stretch, I rounded the corner which goes up a reasonably long hill. The next thing I knew, I found myself walking! I was only in Mile 2, but even on a hot day, I should be able to cruise around that bend! So, what happened? I believe it's that I had been running into the sun, rounded the corner, saw the hill and told myself, "Eh, I don't feel like this hill today." I then immediately said to myself, "What are you doing?" and, further, reminded myself to let my Total Gym-ing kick in and take it from there. I only walked three steps (clearly, this is one of those stories that takes longer to tell than to happen!) and picked the pace back up.

Wow, look what happens when you mentally check your own self out! But! Look what happens when you mentally check yourself back in, too!

Now, all of this self talk and subsequent motoring along did not stop me from pausing for a brief moment by some of my favorite trees for a water break! See how happy it made me?
Oh, so yummy good! It's hard to believe
I used to not like drinking water at all. Now,
it's simply devine especially on a run!
I usually just keep pace and drink at the same time, but I wanted to make sure all of the water made it from the bottle into my mouth and not down my neck and on to my shirt (which is the norm). Today, evidently, I decided neatness counts.

Look what else counts:
See it almost smack-dab in the middle of the picture? I made it big just for your viewing. If you don't see it, it seems you're
not alone as it was just hanging out there, probably passed over by many, just waiting for me.
Indeed, that's exactly my view when I saw that little gem (and his friend about 100 yards down the road!)! Super little scores! But, for real, I don't know how I run straight while looking off to the side! What a skill.

While there were these little moments of joy, there are sometimes unfortunate happenings. Today's was when a bug flew into my mouth. I was going along when all of a sudden ZAP into the back of my throat. It was a direct hit, and it grossed me out! I took a swig of water to rinse out my mouth (no neatness there; I just kept going spewing the water from my mouth after using it to rinse), and I made all sorts of hacking-clearing-my-throat noises (good morning people whose houses I'm running past!). I thought it was gone, but, moments later, I felt it closer to the front of my mouth. I got him that time!
It's like when you have a rock in your shoe and it feels like a
boulder but it's merely a pebble ... this little creature felt like
a horse fly. Evidently, I was wrong.
I knew I only had about a mile to finish from here, and that mile was pretty smooth sailing. All I could think of was getting an ice, cold Diet Coke after I showered!!
But, that wouldn't happen until I had some water and debriefed with Aaron and Trainer Elly in the sittin' spot when I finished:
"You smell fabulous, mommy! Good-n-stinky!"
After a good amount of sniffing, Elly went off to do her own thinking:
"I'm sure there's a reason I couldn't go. I just don't know what
it was ..."
Tomorrow's a Total Rest Day, and I will chalk it up as a well-earned one -- I mapped my run and learned it was 6.4 miles ... booyah!!! Six miles is just what I was wanting for a doable, regular distance, and it came without torturing myself to get there! This distance has been my regular goal since after my first Half Marathon in 2010. It didn't happen then, so I tried it again after last Fall's Half. Again, I just couldn't keep the mileage up. It looks like third time's a charm. It was a long time coming, but that slow-and-steady thing ended up paying off! And, trust me that this was also an enjoyable run; I jacked around a lot but still got it done and done well. Hard work pays!!

Celebrate your efforts whatever they are, and I'll see you on a very special Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment