Saturday, June 9, 2012

Go Run, Get Cookies

It's a bit of a miracle my run this morning happened at all. I was whipped when the alarm went off, so that little noise maker was reset for another half hour while I used that time curled up in bed reminding myself of my self-imposed commitment to run today. Boy, did I internally moan and groan about it while I reflected on the "sprints" I challenged Aaron to in the pool yesterday. Sprinting from one side to the other in three and a half feet of water is no small task especially when you're trying to take on the machine that is my husband! Between the running schedule and the pool challenges, I decided I have a lot of very bad ideas ...

Okay, not really, they're great for me! But, why-oh-why do great ideas have to be in direct contrast with my desire to sleep? That's a question for the ages for sure, and, seeing as it wasn't going to be answered any time soon, I hauled myself out of bed and to today's route.

I mentally mapped today's run to fit a particular mission: I have a few "holes" in my flower garden, so I wanted to see what is left at the garden shop. I figured I could use the morning run to do just that! So, off I went. The temperature was 67 degrees, but it was a hot 67. I didn't expect that. I also didn't expect that for the first mile, my legs would feel like they were still running through water. Darn my challenges to others!! (Did I mention I tied him in one of the heats? I rule.) Ugh, that first mile was a pain!! Even the stretch that usually has promise for a rogue coin only provided an opossum, a bird and a mouse. All in non-living form. Ew. Oh, *and* at the end of that stretch, I came upon a fake out. I hate those:
You see where I'd be faked out. What's worse is I'm certain this
little sucked has faked me out on a previous run. That's not going
to happen again, though. Ask no questions.
My fortune changed considerably after that first mile and a half. Even though a hill that I don't especially care for was right in front of me --
You can't tell, but this stretch is lined with
(what Aaron tells me are) bachelor buttons.
SO pretty! Whoops on the lighting, so
forget those and see the hill. Owie.
-- I went right up it in champion style! I was thinking on the way up that if not for this particular challenge, I wouldn't have the chance to feel that awesome. So, the trade-off wins again. AND, just as I was congratulating myself, check it out:
Cha-cha-cha-ching!! That's a dime at the
top of that hill!
AND, while basking in the glory of a guaranteed more-money-than-miles moment, I looked over and saw this:
And, you can bet I sidestepped my route to run through this.
Ahhhh ... fabulous!
From there, it was a hop-skip-jump over to the garden shop. There was a day I would feel like a big cheater for stopping at all, but those days are way behind me. Now, when training for a Half, I don't indulge myself because I'm working on training my mind and decision making, too. But, to just go out and run means stopping for a minute to see if there are flowers I want to come back and buy totally works. And, there were!
Love me some lantana!!
This garden center is at a grocery store, and this store gives out free cookies to kids. I thought it would be fun to pop in and get two for the junior Crewers. So, I did!
The bakery lady said, "You get one, too, Mom." So sweet!
Sounded terrible at the time, but so sweet!
You'd think this would be annoying to carry home while running, but let's not forget how practiced I am at carrying things in bags ... thanks to Elly ...
And, with a loop in the handle just in case I didn't want to hold
it very tight and for readjusting it in my hand purposes, I was
all set! Yes, your hand gets a bit sweaty. But, so what. The rest
of me already was!
Okay, so I was cruising along the rest of the route when I passed a man running toward me but across the street. Usually, those out on the street running or on bikes wave when passing. It's not like you have to be best friends and swap phone numbers, just be nice and wave! This dude just kept going. Trust me that he looked like he takes running way more serious than I, therefore, doing something like stopping to pick up a dime isn't even on his radar. (I'd bet money he finishes official runs way faster than I, too, by the way. Just sayin'.) Anyway, I then thought to myself, "He is totally jealous of my cookies." Then I thought, "This bag probably doesn't look like it's holding cookies." THEN I thought, "I bet he wonders why I'm carrying a bag but I don't have a dog with me." While the idea was really gross, it made me giggle. A lot!

I'm sure there's a lesson in there. I think that lesson is: Never assume.

I made it home with cookies in tact (that's some skill, by the way) to a happy Crew:
Everyone scored!
I gave mine to Aaron.
And, Elly wondered where hers was.
I'm so glad I didn't move today's run to tomorrow. It would have been an impulsive decision I would have had to live with all day (thinking about how I could have been finished) and really pay for tomorrow. Besides, it helped work through the swimming stiffness! What a deal! So, now, it's off to the pool! And, there are more challenges coming from this girl because tomorrow is Total Rest Day!! Looking forward to it; see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment