Monday, June 18, 2012

Keeps Me Going

It's Monday, so you know what that means ... kicking off the week with a run! I have to admit that while I've kept at my running schedule and have enjoyed most every run, I've been dragging a bit mentally lately. There's a lot of life happening right now, the summer throws off all sense of schedule, I don't have an official race coming until September ... yeah, everything running is in a weird place in that I have to not only make my goals, but I have to figure out how to motivate myself to achieve them without some sort of fanfare right around the corner. That's a tough summer task!

Even Elly is somewhat off kilter. She was soooo very excited to hear me pick up her leash this morning, but, once it was on her, she just stood and looked around instead of bounding to the door like she usually does. The problem? She'd already been on a big walk with Aaron. So, while she wants to be with me, she probably also realized what that meant: Pick up the puppy pace, girl!

Well, pick up the pace she didn't!
Check out her swagger lingering behind me!
Oh ... my ... gosh ... it's going to be one of those runs ...
Well, I knew this might happen from the get-go (it's not like she gave me a bait to the door only to switch it outside!), but the running is so good for her, I had to bring her since the temperature and my distance allowed.

So, what keeps me going when I really don't want to go? The motivation is different on different days, but I have been surprised to find out what keeps me going most consistently: keeping track of my miles for the year. That's especially motivating when planning a long run, and it's a good push when I feel I have the option to just walk the rest of a stretch to my finish instead of running it. I love seeing that number go up, and more times than I would have guessed, I've pictured that counter in the middle of a run and used it to keep me going so I can keep piling the miles on!

At my current rate, I will be close to finishing the year having banked 800 miles. Knowing that, I have a big motivator because my goal was to finish the year close to 700 miles. We'll see what happens, but using the tally is certainly keeping me going!

Find your personal motivator, and enjoy the fruits of your labor!! See you tomorrow after a swapped-for-Wednesday morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment