Wednesday, June 6, 2012

One Tenth

It's not often that we refer to tenths (well, I don't ... except for the little, silver tenth of a dollar coin ... love finding those on a run!). I do remember the ".1" of my first 5K. It about killed me (wasn't 3 miles enough?), but that's not what today's about. Today, my issue was the first tenth of a mile that was the most challenging.

Was there an unexpected hill? No. Unleashed dogs? No. Traffic? No. I fell down? No ... The problem was my running companion and her incessant, over-the-normal-top need to sniff out the perfect gotta-go spot!! It wasn't even 7 a.m.; I had no interest in being patient for dilly dallying!!
"A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, mommy."
I swear, not even a tenth of a mile into the run, and I was already thinking about how to make up time to ensure getting back home in the promised time.
"Time. Sooo not my problem. *sniff*sniff*reject*repeat*..."
That's how obsessed with the sniff she was. To make matters more annoying, it's not like she used any of the spots she scoped.
"I hear it's a girl's perogotive to change her mind.
Just exercising my rights."
I finally got her going and a decent pace only to have her stop and just use whatever random place. Seriously? I will never understand the inner workings of her mind, that's for sure! But, regardless of how it started, the run was a good one. Miles are banked, Total Gym resistance training was crankin', and the junior Crewers and I celebrated National Running Day (who knew?) with lunch at the pool. Okay, they had no idea, and, by then, I'd run and showered so I wasn't really celebrating. Running was behind me for another day!

For tomorrow's run, perhaps picking up speed from the get-go will be in order!
"We'll see about that, mommy. We'll see. Now, let me nap
because all of that sniffing simply exhausted me."
In the meantime, I hope you are surprised to find today is an unexpected day to celebrate something you enjoy! If not, celebrate something anyway! Because, why not? I'll see you after the morning run!


No comments:

Post a Comment