Saturday, January 7, 2012

Rewards

Every morning before I head out to run, I do my due diligence and check the weather to make the best clothing choice. This morning's 31 degrees was my directive to not layer and to forego the ear warmer and gloves. I will tell you, though, that that can make for a very chilly first mile, and I was so glad to have my Running Pal with me because he likes to talk which is a great distraction!

Aaron spent the first part of that mile letting me know how his legs were cursing him because he'd not walked for exercise since Monday. I then asked if he wanted to alter our plan from 4 miles to 3, and he immediately declined. I had to hand it to him -- how many of us might have just blown off the morning altogether if it had been almost a week since last taking on the challenge? Bravo, Running Pal, Bravo!

There we are after just finishing that first mile!
I love this spot in the morning ... very Little House on the Prairie.
So much of the first mile is up hill. I high-fived Aaron when we got to the top and told him it was for us getting up it ... it wasn't long that we found ourselves here ...
Hmmm ... that's more hill than I care to
acknowledge ... head down, just keep going!
... and Aaron said, "Um, I think this is the big hill, I don't know what you were talking about back there!" I'm pretty sure he added an expletive, but I tuned it out because he had a point about the hill and I was pretending it wasn't true. It was here that he also asked, "What do you want to talk about?" because he wanted a distractor. But, the only thing I could think to say was, "Shhh ... not talking right now," so I just said nothing until we got to the top. Reminding him that I don't tend to talk going up hill was counterproductive to the reason I don't tend to talk going up hill ...

So, we made it up that one only to round the corner and go up another. That was cool, though, because I think we're both kind of endeared to this particular hill. (At least I am. I remember when I first decided to take it on, and I never thought I'd get to the top. It turned out easier than I anticipated which meant I was stronger than I was aware. Therefore, excellent mental association with that hill!) Besides, who couldn't love a hill that houses our friend Random Christmas Tree?
You might recall this from about a month ago ... it didn't look as
tired then, though ... clearly, a Happy New Year had by Random
Christmas Tree ...
We were rewarded for our good spirits at the top of this hill!
Didn't I just say it was not often I find a
nickel? Now I'll say, "It's not often I find
tens and twentys ..."
Aaron was further rewarded when we hit the 4-mile mark because we hit it earlier than he knew we would. I wanted to surprise him at the time especially when that mark was where? At the top of a hill! (a hill Aaron particularly hates because it's short but mean) I thought it would be fun to tell him we could stop sooner than he knew. I think I was right:
Oh, yeah ... a little groove goin' on for the
happy, happy man!
And, for all of the reward on this run, this was the best part on the way home:
You know, I honestly never realized I'd thoroughly enjoy going out jogging with Aaron. I knew it would be totally fine, but I've totally come to really, really enjoy it. I like the company, I like the time with just him, and I like sharing this endeavor with him. A lot. Hooray!

(I don't like this, though ... He just headed out for a Diet Coke and asked if I wanted one. I declined because we have plans in a bit that I don't want interrupted because I have to go to the bathroom (Diet Coke will do that to a girl ...). I said that I would like a sip or two of his, and he said, "Yeah ... we'll see." ?!?! Yeah, we'll see how long I make our next outing, Running Pal ...!!)

Take on your day -- take it on with your own Pal!! Together can be very nice! See you on Rest Day!!

1 comment:

  1. Why did you just drink the rest of my diet coke?! I said sips, not gulps! The imdignant running pal

    ReplyDelete