Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Start-Stop-Start-Stop, Why Not? It's Only 12 Out Here!

You would think this would scare, or at least deter, me:
But, no way!! I love it!! I was concerned that the weather people were reporting a wind chill making the temperature feel like it is 2 degrees, but that concern is my dislike for wind, not cold. It turned out that I really didn't even feel any wind stepping outside, so it was simply fabulous! I know it's a bit nutty to like this weather, but keep in mind that I like it because I'm moving out there. If the idea was to just stand outside in these temperatures, then count me out! (But, imagine if you could reap the benefits of running by just standing for a while ...)

Speaking of having to just stand there, do you know how long it takes for Elly to decide where she's going to use her outdoor facilities when it's cold? So as she takes her sweet, long time to do this:
... it makes me look like this:

Seriously?! Just pick a place and GO!! (Hey,
there's frost on my ear thingy! Excellent!) By
the way, the white thing around my neck is
also an ear warmer ... very useful to keep the
neck warm when you don't want to cover your
face.
At least it gave me a moment to really look at the grass ... see how sparkly?
It took less than two tenths of a mile not only for Elly to stop twice to pick the perfect spot for relief (really?) but also for me to notice all of the chimneys that already had smoke cranking out of them. I thought it would be a fun tid-bit to count and note how many I saw, but I quickly lost count because there were so many! When there's that many before 8 a.m., you know it's chilly!
I bet someone is curled up by that fire and all cozy. And, I bet
they have hot coffee or cocoa in hand and are not craving the ice
cold Diet Coke in my head right now. I also bet they don't smell
like I do.
So, Elly and I went on our way stopping here and there to give Elly's sniffer a workout. I found no change today even though I purposely ran through a target-rich area (fast food parking lot). That's okay, it can't happen every day. (I found one when I stopped for a Diet Coke on the way home, but that's not the same as finding one in the middle of the road!)

For all of the start-stop moments Elly and I had today, I won't lie and say seeing this doesn't sometimes make me say, "Ahhh ..."
The thing tells me to stop, so if I must, I'll
take that break. Haha! By the way, that hill
right there -- that I don't even notice as a
hill -- used to feel like climbing a mountain ...
Of course, the puppy enjoyed some lovin' after the run. Not that she looks like she's loving it here:
She seems to say, "Get ... off ... meeeee ..."
Now, that's love if I ever saw it!
With that, more miles go in the books as I creep toward the day when "official" training starts!

In the meantime, though, remember yesterday I said I have an idea yesterday about using my running for a greater good? (Right now, I'm calling it the "I Have An Idea" campaign because that's what it is, and it works in my head here in the development stage!). First, Aaron came home with the same brain-scrambled-excited mindset I'd had all day while he thought of ways to make it happen. AND a friend of mine sent me what I think is a great direction to go. Hooray for excellent ideas!! But, as I have more ideas than focus right now, I thought it wise to get some help with my focus (or lack thereof). So, I now have a meeting set up with my former boss next week to get her input on developing my thoughts. She's truly one of the greatest creative and productive minds I know on making things happen, so whom better to tap to mentor me? Besides, she's fun, so if my idea tanks entirely, we will still find ways to laugh and have fun. And, isn't that what underlies this entire running pursuit anyway? Fun?! That's my mission for sure!

See you tomorrow after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment