Monday, January 2, 2012

Back At It ... Here We Go!

The hard part of today's run was not the run itself. Instead, it was most definitely the getting out of bed. Yowza, that week off and New Year's Eve meal caught up with me last night ... I sure slept great, and it seemed this morning I wanted to keep on keepin' on with the sleep!! But, no doing, the calendar was already set, no excuses, it was time to go!

It was 24 degrees when we set out, but the wind chill brought it down to around 7. You'd think that was super-cold, but it never takes but about a half mile to warm up plenty, so if you head out and it's cold, give it a little time. (Aaron may disagree. Oh, and when the temperature starts out in the single digits before factoring in wind chill, that can be a different story ...)

Just in case it was cold for Aaron to the point of distraction, I gave him a conversation topic last night to bring up during the run. I also suggested that he use part of mile 2 to show off some funky dance-while-walking moves just to shake it all up a little. Both suggestions were implemented, and the distance kept flying. See?! Proper planning for all kinds of things pays off!

Keeping your eyes peeled also pays off!! While we passed on these little treasures for obvious reasons:
... right before these little guys, I found a red b.b. AND right before that ... A DIME!! THAT'S the way to start the New Year, huh?!
In the course of fishing out the dime from
my new gloves, I dropped the b.b. Whoopsie.
THEN (yes, there's more!), with only about three quarters of a mile to go, we came upon the mother load of b.b.'s ... we picked up as many as we could stand in the wind (so there are more out there ...), and I put 'em in my other glove:
A bounty of b.b.'s including a never-before-acquired black one
there at the bottom.  A super score any way you slice it!
(perhaps except for the random piece of grass ...)
By the way, do you like my new gloves? My dear cousin sent them to me for Christmas, and I thought they were fab-u-lous for representing the New Year!! A most welcomed and excellent addition to my love of running gloves that coordinate with the seasons and holidays!

For Christmas from Aaron, I also received this Snoopy dog house bank in which I will put my running cash findings (see how optimistic I am to be able to use it in that way?!). I was so glad to have something to deposit already today!
Cha-ching!
This was a nice ease back into the running venture for 2012. It's soon to be kicked up a number of notches, and I'm very glad to have the first run out be such a good one to set the tone for the upcoming Half Marathon project! Here's to all of the things that make running fun! Stories about random things! Random dancing! Coins! Gummy Bears that are pretty in the morning sun! A dog that continues to annoy but is oh-so-cute while running! Here's to it all 2012 ... here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment