Tuesday, March 29, 2016

That's What I Call GROWTH

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 261.4 (running: 219.9; walking: 5.3; biking: 36.2) Elly's miles: 105.8  Money Found For Food Bank: $44.35

I remember the days when I was training for my first Half Marathon, and I let nothing get in my way of my training schedule. If it rained, I was on the treadmill. No matter what I had to do on any given day, the run came first thing in the morning to make sure it happened. Nothing got in my way.

That most definitely sounds like I was focused and driven and ready to take a bite out of that race, doesn't it? The fact is, it was driven by fear. I was scared to death that if I missed a single step during that training period, then I might not make it to the finish line much less cross it. For my mental game, I needed to ensure every step of training.

And, then there's now.

So, yesterday, I woke up tired -- not to mention the heater kicked on, so I already knew it was cold out -- that I opted for another half hour of sleep before doing my miles on the bike instead of getting up and hitting the road. I didn't even question it. Well, I did question why I was so tired, but, it turns out that we all were, so I didn't feel I inflicted it upon myself! Anyway, the bike was groovy, and I got to watch an episode of Steve Harvey. My riding disappointed the dog, but the hound who can sleep at will during the day doesn't get a vote. So, I cranked it on the bike and moved on with the day guilt free.

I have just a short run scheduled for tomorrow. And, in truth, I think I screwed up the days I'm actually supposed to be running this week. In fact, I have just three miles scheduled for tomorrow and two days off until my next 10-miler. The layout of that seems weird, but it definitely works with my life schedule, so, there you go. I used to care about such things (meaning I'd get all wound up about amidoingthisright), but I've swapped out 'fear' for 'confidence' that I can more than pull it off and am not worrying about it. I have other things to do than to give my energy to concerning myself with something that should not be, well, concerning.

The new and improved mindset is called: Refreshing.

And, with that, I'll be checking in after the morning run ...

No comments:

Post a Comment