Friday, March 4, 2016

Rise

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 157.1 (running: 153; walking: 4.1; biking: 0) Elly's miles: 85.1  Money Found For Food Bank: $41.52

While I have never been a headphone/ear bud wearing runner, I have always had music going through my head while out there (during those times I'm not talking to myself or otherwise spacing out). I remember compiling my play list for my first Half Marathon; I'll make a cd to listen to in the car or around the house, and those songs go through my head while I'm running. Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me is the standout there. I still use it when I need a little umph to get up a hill. An up beat, fast tempo is what often does the trick to keep me going.

Not today.

The past week has provided a host of topsy-turvy-curve-ball moments capped off (I hope) with a 4 a.m. wake up call today that learned about pretty last minute (like a wide berth of warning would have actually prepared me for that?). When I heard this was going to be part of my day, one of my first thoughts was, "I am totally screwed on my long run." I am not one to easily go back to sleep when awakened especially when I'll have to get up in a couple of hours anyway. Plus, I couldn't move this particular run to tomorrow. So, a sleepy, long run was suddenly on my radar. Today was the day for it, like it or not. And, I admit, I didn't like it.

But, what do you do.

The very least of what would happen today was that I would finish. And, there's nothing wrong with that. But, I'd like to get something out of it with the Half Marathon just 5 weeks away. So, I prayed. The minute I stepped on to the pavement, I threw the run up to God and asked for a safe, strong run.

I was very surprised that the first couple of miles were much stronger than I anticipated. Very. I could feel every muscle working to just go without issue, and I couldn't help but realize that by giving this run over entirely is what made the difference. I realized I was being put to a test to see if I was going to rise to the occasion or be a big whiner. I chose to rise, and that's when the soundtrack started in my head.

You'll never guess what it was. I certainly didn't hear it coming ...

As soon as I realized I was rising, I could hear Josh Groban singing You Raise Me Up loud and clear. And, no part of the message escaped me:

You raise me up so I can stand on mountains.
You raise me up to walk on stormy seas.
I am strong when I am on your shoulders.
You raise me up to more than I can be.


Over and over and over this played in my head.

I love those moments when I am handed yet another piece of evidence, if you will, of God and how He works in my life. I thought I had this figured out in the pairing of me and my Dad. And, then, as if Aaron's and my paths to find each other wasn't proof enough. As though the births and lives of our beautiful children didn't prove it. For crying out loud, what more could I have asked for than those moments as proof of God in my life? Yet, I continue to be further blessed in every way from friends to our pets to career paths to every day things I enjoy.

And, then, there He is, right there with me on a run. I'm sure He has a lot of other things to do today. But, there He was. To be honest, I was a bit overwhelmed in the very best of ways.

So, there I was, on His shoulders being more than I could have been left to my own devices. It was a great place to be when approaching one of the most intimidating hills around here. I think I've only run the entire thing once before today because it just hurts by the time you're at the top. Today was not only a day to run all the way up it, but a post-hill selfie was required:
The peak was where the stop lights are. (Yeah, there's a reason you don't see any more street beyond the lights ... because it goes dowwwwwwnnn ...) I also had to stop my groove at those lights as they were red. And, that was that moment when you've given something every, single thing you have, and you're feeling great until you stop all of a sudden. And, then you feel like throwing up. Literally. I have that feeling right after crossing the finish line at almost every Half Marathon. I'm sure there's some physiological reason for it, but I don't care to look into it. A 50-yard walk and a few sips of water put everything back in balance.

The three miles to finish from there were pretty easy breezy. I couldn't have asked for anything more than to have gotten up that hill in good form, but there were the last miles to just enjoy. I was so thankful I clued in at the beginning of the run that the way to do it, and to do it well, was to simply look up.

From the time I began this running gig, on every single run, I use that time to pray. Those are my reflections from the day before and requests for strength and guidance to be with me and others who could use the same. Those prayers take however long they take. And, I say thank you to God every time I find a coin. And, I really say thank you to Him when I feel myself trip but don't fall or when He guides me and Elly out of the path of broken glass (which happens more often than you might think). So, I most definitely feel watched over and even companioned when I run. But, man, nothing compares to what I was handed today.

I've always said that my running has never been a solo endeavor. I could not do it without support and cheers from my family, and I certainly appreciate the encouragement I receive from friends. I didn't even start this on my own -- it started because of Elly. And, then there was today -- another great day to remember I'm not in this by myself.

All of that being said, it probably now makes more sense to others that the song that's held the number one spot in my Half Marathon play lists is Victoria Justice's You're the Reason:

... Have I told you lately
That I love you
You're the only reason that I'm not afraid to fly
And, it's crazy
That someone could change me
Now, no matter what it is I have to do
I'm not afraid to try
And, you need to know that you're the reason why ...


I most definitely have redefined the song. But, so what. It's a great reminder that no matter what I'm thinking of my own capabilities, I have reason to believe in more.

No comments:

Post a Comment