Monday, June 15, 2015

Bring the Bling

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 533.6 Aaron: 321.4 (b: 290.5; w: 30.9)  Elly: 99.6 Total: 954.6

I did not participate in the morning move. Thanks to Aaron for keeping us going today!

I recently read a lengthy post on Facebook from someone offering counter points to the distaste for 'everyone gets a trophy' thing. It was a really good post (but not an article I can actually link) because it made me stop and rethink my own position which has actually evolved over the past decades.

Yes, I said decades. I received my first participation trophy when I was 10. I was one of two girls on the parks & rec boys' league for soccer (yup ... I'm old enough that there wasn't a girls' league), and the coach doled out trophies from a box in his trunk after our last game. I loved it. I didn't think I'd done anything but show up and have fun, either. I wasn't that delusional.

Other adults in my life didn't love it. And, it wasn't just down played, it was something close to ridiculed. I loved that trophy. Evidently, I ultimately succumbed to it not meaning much because it's not in my box of treasures. These are, though ...
I guess because all of this was technically earned on whatever
level that it made the cut for the box. Too bad about that first
trophy. The girl had a flying ponytail and everything.
Funny how the soccer one on top was just for being a Senior on the team. Yeah, yeah, I had to try out and make it, but still. It was truly just for being there.

I loved that one, too.

I can't do justice trying to recap the eloquence of her Facebook post, but I will give you the opener: "I like tiaras. And ribbons. And trophies. And gold stars. I’ve seen a lot of posts on Facebook lately telling me that makes me a terrible parent. I happen to have a different opinion. I’m not sure when we became so cynical as to think that telling kids good stuff - and giving pats on the back - will make them bad adults. It doesn’t." -- Kelly Phillips Erb

She goes a whole lot deeper on topic, but her point is pretty clear up front. And, I happen to agree with her even though I've been told about a million times throughout my life I shouldn't.

I will be the first to admit to many things on this topic including how many times I've used something like a trophy or other award to motivate my endeavor ... or participation in the first place. From a sticker to a trophy to a medal to whatever, I've never even pretended like I wasn't gunning after the prize. Umm ... so? That there was a prize at the end didn't mean the work along the way wasn't accomplished or that I got nothing out of the process. For me, I know I tried more things if there was something to attain at the end than I would have without. I don't really think that says anything more about me than I found what works. And, I make no apologies for it. If it doesn't motivate you, that's cool. It's not a mutually exclusive concept.
Clearly, I am motivated by the bling.
The post also mentioned the many graduation/transition ceremonies that seem to have evolved since I was a kid. I completely admit I didn't get why they happened when Aaron and I as parents came upon our first of such ceremonies. But, I never experienced them, either, so, why judge? And, as it turns out, had I closed my mind and heart to something just because I'd never been a part of it, I would have missed out on some pretty fun and meaningful moments for my kiddos.

An open mind has most definitely served me well as I've grown. I am sitting here with visions of simply recreating my own world as a child into my adult years, and making my experiences the hallmarks of the only way to do things. Eee-gads, it makes me shiver because, from where I sit, the very best parts of my life right now look absolutely nothing like what I've already lived. That was then; now is even better.

Decide for yourself what matters and what motivates you. Surround yourself with people who support you even if they don't jump in and/or agree with you, and do the same in return. There's not one right way to do all of the crazy things life has to offer, so find and embrace your own way. With or without some bling.

No comments:

Post a Comment