Monday, July 27, 2015

Safety First

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 624.6 (running: 453.1; walking: 26.7; biking: 144.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $50.82
 
2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 624.6 Aaron: 383.8 (b: 349.1; w: 34.7)  Elly: 127 Total: 1135.4


I'm so very happy to report that I made it through my morning run without melting. It was super gross out; it took all of a half mile for the front of my shirt to start getting soaked. But, it was still good to get out and greet the day:
These are the days where the main focus of the run is safety. For myself, that means being more mindful of my pace than I am on most days; I can't let my body take over because my auto-pilot is faster than should happen in this kind of heat. It means making what I need more important than anything I want. 'Want to finish faster? Too bad, that doesn't matter today. Worried about appearances and/or making sure the run continues until the car passes and then walking may commence? That should be way out the window on any day, but, in this heat, it can't even hit the radar.
Okay, that's hysterical! But, there's no room for it on a day like today!
(image from the I Love To Run Facebook page)
There's also no room for comparing one day's run to another. I live by that anyway, but it really need not matter in extreme weather. My run today was actually really strong. I even went a mile longer than planned, and there was no reason for it that I feel I can control. So, when I head out tomorrow in similar conditions, the slate must be clear, and I need to do whatever I need to do to be safe. Period.

It most definitely was a great way to start the day no matter the weather! Like my shirt says, it was absolutely my happy hour!
My new shirt rocked this run. It was also
completely soaked by the end. Bleh.
I'll check in with what tomorrow brings! Stay cool and stay safe in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment