Monday, April 6, 2015

Weekend Wrap Up

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 320.7 (running: 213.3; walking: 13.6; biking: 93.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $31.11

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 320.7 Aaron: 261.3 (b: 242; w: 19.3)  Elly: 61 Total: 643

So, the morning forecast of 50/50 chance on showers turned out to be a dry morning, but that was totally okay. I was ready to call it a rest while I cross my fingers to get at least one more run outside the rest of this week. I am scheduled for two, but one might have to go by way of the bike. I'm not excited about that the week of the Half, but it worked so well last week before my long run that I'm not going to stress about it.

Besides, not running gave an opportunity for Elly to take me for a walk:
It was a short one, but it was good nonetheless! -- A nice, calm way to start off a Monday!

Before moving on with kicking off the work part of the week, I must share last night's creation. TaDa!!
So, the other day (and, by that, I'm pretty sure I mean Saturday ...), I was IMing with a friend, and she was talking about the Easter spread she was preparing. Hers was quite a feast including carrot cake for dessert. It immediately hit me, of course, carrot cake for Easter. It's true, I've never made the connection especially when carrot cake around our house is reserved for Aaron's birthday.
Of course, bunnies are reserved for Easter, but I have Snoopy
everywhere ... perhaps it's time to broaden the scope
I broke out of my mental box and realized I could probably find a good recipe to at least try. True, I have one, but it is so spectacular and so spectacularly bad for you that we reserve it for Aaron's birthday. Seriously, it's something ... something fabulous! Mmmm ... oh, wait ... back to the present world ... Okay, so I've, personally, earmarked a sugar smack after this weekend's run, so I was all about doing a quick scavenge to make carrot cake happen and pronto.

Clickety-click and BAM. There is was (and, here it is!). Here are a couple of things to note:
  • The layers of this cake are, quite literally, about an inch tall. I found myself wondering if I misunderstood and that the directions were actually for a single layer of cake. But, as it calls for pouring batter in to cake panS, I don't think I blew it. Anyway, given the shallow nature of the batter in my pans, I only baked mine for 25 minutes, and they were perfect. I suggest at least checking yours at that point even if they're not yet done. The batter babysitting will be worth it.
  • I added a teaspoon of vanilla to the frosting because what is cream cheese frosting without vanilla? It was needed, in my opinion, and perfect.
  • Don't be afraid of the Greek yogurt in the frosting. It makes the frosting wonderfully creamy. Taste it, and simply add a bit more of your sweetener if you think it needs it, but I wouldn't recommend leaving it out entirely.
And, then, you must eat:
It is a dense cake, so a little piece is going to go a very, long way. The recipe says this is a 10-serving cake. I cut ours in 12 slices, and that slice was plenty. I'm pretty stoked to have it for dessert again tonight ... yummmm ...

There you have it. The Easter wrap-up and the week's kick-off! It's going to be a busy week ... and a great one!! SOOO looking forward to the big runs for all of us!! Work hard today so you can play hard this weekend!! I'll check in tomorrow with whatever the weather dictates for me to do! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment