Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Resolve

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 356.1 (running: 248.7; walking: 13.6; biking: 93.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $33.66

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 356.1 Aaron: 273.8 (b: 251.4; w: 22.4)  Elly: 70.1 Total: 700

Snoopy and the Peanuts gang are on a streak this week:
But, sometimes, I don't want to be ...
So, today's groove actually started from an email conversation I had with a friend last night. I'd mentioned my many, recent foibles to her to which she responded: "Anyone can be perfect. A real woman takes a situation, messes it up, then finds a way to make it work. It makes for way better stories." Words to live by from my sweet friend, Juli.

As tongue-and-cheek as I took that, I totally went with the overall, intended theme of making the best of whatever it is I did and not wallowing in it. I'm not one to wallow anyway, so it totally resonated. It also inspired me to start acting on/trying to better work out a situation for the upcoming Half I screwed up. I was certainly motivated to at least try to figure what it is I should be learning from and actually doing (if anything) with the situation, and I went to bed totally embracing that it doesn't need to bring me down nor otherwise demotivate my stride.

I woke up not yet having resolve on the upcoming Half mess up, but I didn't let it get in the way of my run. Unlike yesterday, I actually wanted to run this morning. I didn't have a great plan, I didn't have a particular mileage goal, but I did not want to give in to fleeting feelings that would only bring me down but change nothing. And, yes, it's sometimes hard to get out there when there's not a specific end-point goal on the calendar. But, I could not allow that to get in my way today when I've not yet had time to reevaluate any upcoming potential goals.

So, off I went. I didn't take Elly so I could just run as long (or short) as I wanted without factoring her in. It was a beautiful 50-degree morning with little wind, and getting out there felt free.
Almost as soon as I started, I knew I would go at least four miles which was exactly the time I decided I would go five. I wanted that extra push, and it was probably the best thing I could have done to keep my head in the right game, not in any contrived head games.

I finished feeling most excellent both physically and mentally. Not to mention, I also came up with another potential solution for my situation. I now have Plans A through C: A, Someone (who is in the calendar-checking phase of the process) does a transfer of registration with me; B, I convince the race people to let me do it virtually and I pick up my shirt and medal after, or C, I get half the registration money back (per the event rules), and we all go about our business.

I just like that there are options and that none are terrible. I, of course, prefer A or B. Time (within the week) will tell the outcome.

In the meantime, as I've planned a Rest Day for Thursday, I'll be back at it again for a short run. That means Elly will get to come, too! It's her favorite way to start the day especially when she gets a day's break in between runs. So, here's to new thoughts, new perspectives and a great morning run! I'll see you after ...

No comments:

Post a Comment