Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Find a Penny, Pick It Up ...

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 175 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 878.8 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 351.3 Money Found For Food Bank: $56.45

Okay ... funny story about this penny:
I was cruising along a sidewalk lined with meters (of course) when, ahead of me, I saw a man walking going in the same direction as I. He was strolling with his head down. I assumed he was texting or otherwise utilizing his phone. Then, just as I saw the man, I also saw the penny at the foot of a meter. It was all bright and shiny which means I can spot them from quite a distance. Sizing up the situation, I realized a perfect storm was about to happen: the man, the penny and I would be at that meter at the same time.

I was reasonably sure the man had no penny-snagging plans (but, if he had, more power to him. It's not like I would have incited a brawl.). But, more importantly, I was very aware that my running up and suddenly stopping could startle him. And, I'm no fan of startling anyone especially from behind. So, I stopped and walked to at least tone down the behind-the-guy rustle. He passed the penny, I picked it up, and I went on my way ... but, not before realizing his head was down and he was focused on scratching on his scratchers ticket.

The whole scene struck me with a touch of irony. Of course, if he won on any level, he certainly won more than the penny I just found and more than the other 39 cents already stashed in my pocket. It's not about comparing who was doing what especially when neither situation is a sure thing. That moment just was. And, to me, it was funny.

It was also a great run this morning. I've found myself pushing these runs harder, and I'm not really sure why because, more often than not, I slack off when not actually training for a race. Even then, well, we all know I'm not training for the Olympics and most of my daily runs show that! I'll take the energy and desire while it's here and ask no questions about it because I know good and well the more difficult weather will hit, and I'll just be getting through those runs!

Speaking of weather, it's supposed to be oh-so-cold overnight Saturday to Sunday, so I'm taking this already-messed-up week, and I'm making a plan to not run this weekend! I already scheduled Saturday off, and I like it. And, I'm not ready for the bone chilling temps, so I'll just run the rest of these weekdays out and hunker down for the weekend instead!

It was a great start to the day indeed! May you find a little surprise around some corner (or, at the base of a meter!) today, and I'll check in after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment