Friday, November 21, 2014

Back To the Basics

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 185 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 926 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 358.8 Money Found For Food Bank: $61.91

Yup, I ran today. Surprised me, too. Here's how it went down:

So, my intended Rest Day started off in one of my favorite ways which is to meet my friend from breakfast. She is a great friend, and we are kindered spirits in the talking department in that we are, like professionals at it. From the most inconsequential (like how much we hate the show How To Get Away With Murder) to the most meaningful (think family thoughts) and everything in between, we have things to say!

Today's topic quickly morphed in to life stuff. The theme that emerged from my end of the table was how I did not expect how much emotional housekeeping I would be doing in 2014. Don't get me wrong, it has been long, long overdue. But, that kind of thing can be exhausting, and I've done so much of it in this last half of the year that I'm admittedly really quite tired. I'm still going forward. Is there really a choice? I mean, a good choice ...
 
I am thankful for such times when I can verbally vomit all over my friends, sort out the pieces, and use the gnashing for something productive. And, as I was heading home from our soiree, my brain was on overdrive. I had so much going on on the inside that I knew I needed to do something. And, that something was run. It was then I realized running is cleansing for me; it's one of the few times in a day where I can and do breathe deep. And, those deep breaths are what I craved.
 
So, fueled with things to think, too little sleep from last night and more Diet Coke than anyone should ever consider drinking prior to running, Elly and I took off. It was cold but not COLD, and I'm not even sure if there was much by way of wind. It just felt good to get out and let go for a bit!! I wasn't necessarily ready to run, so I went totally old school running the straights and the down hills while walking the up hills. Because so much of my thinking was centered around a return to basics because basics work, today's running strategy was more than apropos.
 
Indeed, it was an awesome run. Even though I had to pee the entire time thanks to the pre-run Diet Coke ingestion.
 
Elly had herself a grand time, too. She thanked me profusely when we arrived home by sitting next to me and letting a huge burp rip:
She's all, "That was delicious."
As I told my friend today, I fully and completely admit to being tired. It's really not the running. In fact, that's probably what's helped me to keep going in the rest of my world! But, it's a good tired because, just like setting goals for running to keep going forward, the rest of my world is going forward, too. Because, again, is there really a better choice? I think not.
 
As was profoundly stated in Pretty Woman, "Take care of you." I'll check in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment