Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Donation Day 2014

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 187 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 933.5 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 358.8 Money Found For Food Bank: $63.64

It's Food Bank Donation Day!!! YAHOO!!! I love this day!! I have to be honest that I don't really love the process of counting it all out because it is so amazingly gross, BUT it's so amazingly worth it!

Because I ran yesterday and have two runs planned for tomorrow and Thursday, I normally wouldn't run today. But, it being Donation Day, I had to give the streets one more whirl! Even though the wind was so snippy that my face felt numb when I finished my three miles, I was glad I went because I found six more cents! Add that to the adjustment I had to make for the grand total (as I missed a bit in the year-long tally), and this year's donation is $63.64!!! Whuuuuuuuuuuttt ?!? It's just sitting around out there!!! Well, until I see it ... then, it goes in one of a number of Snoopy receptacles 'til donating!
Here's the basic breakdown. In round numbers, I had ...
  • $12 in pennies
  • $4 in nickels
  • $22 in dimes
  • $22 in quarters
  • $2 in dollar coins
  • $1 in paper money
  • + 64 cents in change that didn't add up to a whole number when divided into categories
Let the $22 in quarters sink in for a sec ...!! That's the one that gets me because they're so much easier to hear when they hit the ground than the others!!

We also keep a jar for money Aaron and I find when just walking around ... or, checking vending machines ... or, having Aaron pull over at an intersection because I just saw a coin in the middle of it ...
Yes. We found the folding money, too. All of it.
That total was $52.83!!

All together, today's donation was $116.47 which translates into just a bit more than 1,740 meals the Food Bank can provide!!

One thousand seven hundred forty. HOLY. MOLY. That's worth breaking pace or otherwise looking a little like a fool any day!!!

We got our donations together including money the young Crewers squirrel away every week to donate, and off we went!
I also scoured the pantry this year to see if we had any food to donate while we were there. In that small bag is the jar of gravy I bought for Thanksgiving. Yes, I said jar of gravy. We also have stuffing as well as mashed potatoes out of a box because it's tasty and easy. Don't judge. Anyway, I don't like gravy and don't eat it, but Aaron and Pit Crew #2 do (and approved of said jar of gravy last year. Surprised me, too.). They're worth more than a jar of gravy, but that's all I've managed to come up with until I recently came across a make-ahead gravy recipe that actually sounded tasty even to this non-gravy eater. So, I threw caution to the wind and donated the 'backup plan.' Thursday could be interesting ...
 
We all made our donations, and the collection staff could not have been more enthused. Even more fun is that some of the staff are consistent at this site, and they've been watching the young Crewers grow up. One of the staff members wanted to hear the story behind the bags of money while another offered home made brownies and magic cookie bars. We also got a free sample of sushi from the nearby grocery store:
I'm just sayin' that most of the family was not really hungry for dinner by the time we left the donation site.

Can I tell you how much I enjoy our annual trek to the donation site? It's a fun family affair with a big benefit behind it. I'm so very thankful we are able to give it and aren't in need of it. So thankful.

Our jar on the counter already has another 12 cents in it, by the way. And, I don't know if tomorrow's route is going to provide a start to the running finds, but, I'm excited to find out! Even more exciting is that tomorrow is our virtual 10K ... that's right! You know exactly who is joining me on the phone and from a distance!!! She and I will see you after the morning run!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment