Saturday, March 16, 2013

Oh, OUTSIDE, How I've Missed You!

Top o' the mornin', to ya!! Oh, wait ... that's more appropriate for tomorrow, right? Well, today was the morning of our city's St. Pat's run, so I'm not that far off. Clearly, I opted not to participate even though Aaron had a kicky hat to wear in the crowd ... remember it?
That run is just not well-timed for me with these Spring Half Marathons even though they are very fun to do! But, here are the two even better than that reasons for not participating today. (1) The participants received green shirts. Now, that's awesome in a field of runners for St. Pat's, but green is simply not my color for the other 364 days of the year. (2) You might remember my friend in the other beer mug hat who has run with me in a number of events. Well, he is spending his day drywalling, and, even though I did not know about those plans before deciding myself to not participate in the run, what kind of friend would I have been to put him in the position to choose? Run with a friend, drywall. Run with a friend, drywall. What it really comes down to is I opted out for the sake of nurturing a friendship. The way I see it, we both win. AND, I have $25 dollars I didn't spend on the entry fee/green shirt event. Again, winning.

So, with event runners across town jogging in place to keep themselves warm while congregating at the start, I got ready to blaze my own trail. I was remarkably stoked to get out and run. I really have no particular reason for it, but I didn't question it (never question motivation ... just take it and run! In this case, literally!). I planned my route to end at our favorite bagel shop (nicely played!), so I packed my bag of clean clothes for Aaron to bring when the fam joined me there, and I headed out!

I did take a moment of pause when I hit the front door. The temperature was 42 degrees which actually works great for running in shorts (40 is where the transformation happens for me from longer pants to shorts especially on long runs). But, it was windy. Quite windy. I stood there for a moment then went on anyway having made the decision based on what I know (42 should be fine after the first mile) versus what I fear (is this going to be the time I regret the shorts?). Onward I went, shorts and all!

I will tell you I was the only runner out there today in shorts. Literally, the only one out of many. Some were bundled up for winter while others seemed dressed for a cool, Spring morning. Not one had on shorts. And, short sleeves. Therefore, that leads me to believe that none of them were quite as motivated as I to keep on trucking because the more I moved, the warmer I was! I reminded myself of that right when I turned on to Mile 7 because I did take note that my legs were a little pink, and I could tell I was a little cold. Stupid wind!

Also of note at Mile 7 was that things felt different. They weren't different physically, really, it was more of an aura. I even looked around (and probably had a look similar to, "What's that smell?" even though I wasn't smelling anything) to figure it out which is when I realized, "Ohhhh ... I'm outsiiiiiiide !" Yes, friends, this is the first long run I've had outside since running 7 miles 4 weeks ago. That means I racked up -- just with long runs -- 27 miles on the treadmill. That should be a crime. It is something of a punishment. But, no need to dwell, I was outside today!

Outside lends itself to all sorts of things including much better training for the course hills I know are coming. It also tests my balance and reaction time when I lodge my toes into a concrete jut and stumble (Oh, yes ... and, who doesn't want that tested over and over?). I am able to find pennies (that really doesn't happen on a treadmill). I miss new turns and have to figure out what to do on the fly (yup, did that today, too). And, it just feels awesome.

I'd show you how awesome I felt, but I forgot to put the memory card in the camera. Whoopsie. I'll instead show you the not-awesome moment for PC#3 this morning:
Something is really wrong with his
basketball ...
With 11 miles checked off the list ahead of tomorrow's rain, it's time to enjoy the rest of the weekend! We rest and celebrate tomorrow! I'll check in with you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment