Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Run and a Show

It was a 3-mile morning with only about 5 weeks 'til the Half. I knew it was a day to run this morning, but I have to admit I was just so over it today. I wasn't dreading the run, but I wasn't looking forward to it, either. It was just one of those bleh moments where I could think of nothing I'd rather not do than get out there. However, having been there more times than I can even count in the last 4 years, I knew I needed to just get out there and do it. The time was going to pass no matter what I filled it with, so I may as well fill it with something I'd be proud of after I was finished.

Besides, how could I say no to this face?
"I even positioned myself in a dramatic,
angelic spot. You simply can't say no."
It was again a chilly morning (which was actually okay today -- I guess my week-o-griping has passed on that issue, and I'm back to the girl who does so-enjoy the cold), but that overnight chill does bring on a danger. Yup, you guessed it, our friend ice is still hanging around:
A lot of melting is happening for sure -- not enough to yet allow for the longer routes, but here's to hoping things clear up enough by my weekend long run. In the meantime, that melting freezes up overnight continuing these tricky mornings.

Elly and I did just fine, though. She's a big ol' diva smarter than she sometimes acts and has mostly figured out what places in the road to avoid. Her four-wheel drive doesn't really help her in the slippery department, so she takes good care to watch for that. I, on the other hand, not only keep an eye out for ice, but, today, my coin radar was reinstated:
It's there on the border of Elly's leg shadow. I love how she
refuses pictures during a run. She's so serious about it all. I
think she's taking her trainer role a little too far.
Elly says: "No pictures now. Run."
And, now, for the climactic ending to the run. It's like this -- Elly and I were rounding out the last 2 tenths of a mile. Seriously, we were that close to the finish. I knew a school bus was on my tail, so I was conscious of where it was, where I needed to be if it needed to pass, etc. The next thing I know, my foot hits whatever-it-hit in the road, and I go flailing. Every limb went every which way, I stumbled at least three times (toward the middle of the road -- not that I could help it, but what a drag when you know a school bus is coming), and I just knew if I went down, it would not be good. At all. I was even stumbling long enough for me to be completely aware of what was happening. It wasn't one of those, "SlipBAM" moments. Instead, picture Dick Van Dyke's physical comedy only without the star power or salary to look the fool. I had enough time to realize all sorts of things from where I was to how much I didn't want to rip my purple pullover to realizing where I'd hit if I go down. Given the momentum of my body, I was about to land on my back just below my right shoulder blade.

But, I didn't. Seriously, I have no idea what saved me there but for the grace of God who spared not only me of pretty decent injury but also a bus of kids from seeing no good coming of exercise (I mean, who wants to exercise if they see someone get hit by a bus for doing so? That would be a one-plus-one-equals-two in my book.). My right foot jammed into the street for the final stop which did nothing for how that makes your muscles feel when you jam them out of nowhere, but it did the job to keep me from going down hard.

The fact that I did not actually fall did not stop one young girl waiting for the bus from taking it upon herself to let me know under no uncertain terms that I was to be careful on the ice. "It's slippery, and YOU. CAN. FALL." she called out. She kept directing me as she boarded her bus. I can only hope she didn't re-enact this for her friends at recess or sister-girl went down on the ice in the replay.

All of that, and that penny stayed in my pocket. You are welcome, Food Bank!

So, there you have it. A run and a show. I aim to please. Tomorrow's a Rest Day with a very specific goal in watching the weekend weather. I'm supposed to long-run on Sunday, but rain might move that to Saturday. We shall see. The weather's made all of this an adventure, so why not start moving running days around? But, before getting there, it's a turkey-soyrizo burger night! That's the way to slide into a Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment